AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mits 65000 that has died. I really liked the TV but time marches on and technology has improved. I replaced it with a Panny pt50lc13 which is a great TV. I still have the carcass of the Mits as I can'nt bring myself to throw it away. I'm thinking I'd like to install a proj inside it and use the left over space to install the HTPC and surround reciever inside(perhaps the voom reciever as well) as there should be ample space if I remove the never used speakers. I'm asking what proj with a very short throw would an expert advise.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm sure you would have to add a custom lense to any projector to acheive this. In my opinion, this is defeating one of the great benefits of FP... the small form factor and portability. Put that carcass on the side of the road.

Bobby

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was actually kicking this idea around. Sure you are limited by the dimentions of the cabinet, however the ambient light rejection of this set-up is the big advantage. Portability is a non-issue - home theater is an entire room set-up - not just the projector. Even so there is nothing stopping him from removing the projector from the cabinet is he wants to. The trick here is the short throw - you may be able to adapt the lenses from the crt projector to acheive the proper throw - if not, custom lenses could be expensive - perhaps a camera shop may be able to rig up something.

Pros: Ambient light rejection

You can use a dim projector or lower brightness modes

Tidy set-up - no hanging wires - go not have to rip up the ceiling

Cons: Limited to screen dimentions of the box

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've played with this idea quite a bit. It's definitely possible from a functional standpoint, but the shortthrow light path is the main issue for me. All the short throw projectors I've looked at are not "short" enough, even if I use more of the internal structure of the RPTV and bounce off two mirrors, it's still not long enough for the screen size I want. I've bought two wide angle lenses (.70 and a .80) and tried retrofitting on to an X1, but both suffer from bowing over the horizontal axis. I'm a firm believer now that this is not a viable solution, the only solution would be to replace the lense assembly in the projector with wide angle one. And I have no idea how to go about doing that.

Good luck though...

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
This is one of the silliest ideas I ever heard of. If you can't stand the thought of throwing this monster away - keep it as a home theater casket to bury all the old front projectors you will inevitably go through over many years of upgrading.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
RP setups are certainly not something to be laughed at, however I would concur that using an old RPTV box and screen is probably not the best solution. I would probably only utilize the mirror from an RPTV, and find a screen to match what you want, and build your own mounting structures for the pj and mirror, etc. This would eliminate the problems of the limited space in a normal RPTV, and you can use a normal lens, etc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hmm, not exactly what you want, but you could put all the electronics (PC Stereo, etc) in the TV, replace the screen with one designed for front projecton and mount the projector on the ceiling. That way you still get to keep your cabinet and do most of what you want. Drawbacks: you now suffer from ambient light like the rest of us.

By the way, I don't think it's a silly idea. It's a DIYDLPRPTV.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
In general, they do tend to have shorter throws than digital projectors. Some for use in RPTVs have very short throws, and this comes along with some other bigger problems associated with a small screen, short throw and the resultant extreme angling of the guns. You can go too small with CRT, so again it's probably best to just utilize parts of the TV (basically just the mirror) to construct your own RP application.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mit07 wrote:

" keep it as a home theater casket"

I can not tell you how hard I laughed at that idea. I just read my issue of Sound and Vision where they eulogized Rodriguez, the funny cartoonist in Stereo Review for so many years. I immediately thought of a funeral with 6 guys rolling a black Mitsubishi RPTV on casters to an open grave with a well dressed corpse inside the TV .

The widow is crying and says. "He always said that he would go to his grave with a CRT based display, until DLP black levels got better."

We need a new Rodriguez to show how silly we sometimes behave in this hobby/obsession.

PKinSFLA

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With the z3 I think I read that I could get a 65" screen with about 7 feet with an additional first surface mirror and point the projector down from just behind the original mirror....but then the exhaust is blowing into the box. Maybe I'll wait and see what comes at 1920x1080p.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mit07
This is one of the silliest ideas I ever heard of. If you can't stand the thought of throwing this monster away - keep it as a home theater casket to bury all the old front projectors you will inevitably go through over many years of upgrading.:rolleyes:

NOW THAT IS A GREAT IDEA!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.