AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

I have a set of Paradigm SA15r-30s for my rear surrounds in a 7.1 set-up.

How far behind the primary seating area should they be placed? Unfortunately I have them installed already but do not get a lot of sound from them in my chairs. At least not that I notice.

·
Registered
710 Posts
That would be the problem with many in -ceilings. I will ask if the system is calibrated properly as this may help. Rear surrounds should be placed about 2-3 feet behind when WALL mounted but for ceiling mounted rear channels I suspect the bigger problem is the fact they are firing down and not out into the listening area. So for an in ceiling mounting I would have them directly over the listening area and have the side surrounds mounted a little forward or directly opposite.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
You can always try adjusting them on your receiver to make the rears louder. If you do the setup you can set them all to the same volume.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rear surrounds (SA-15r30) are the directional ones. These fire forward at about a 20 degree angle.

I just want to make sure placement is alright. The manual does not give specific measurements. I also don't want to increase the sound levels too much from the receiver end to cut down on any possible speaker damage at higher listening levels.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Your speakers actually fire at 30 deg. I should have looked them up first
. I would make sure the levels are matched to the rest of the system, don't worry about speaker damage at higher levels, that is what the level matching does, it limits the output of that channel by the amount of extra you have to bump them up to keep the amps from clipping, ie. if you receiver has a max output reading on the volume of +12 and the speakers are bumped up to +6 then the max the receiver will allow the volume to get to is +6. Besides the most you ever run through a system in house, unless it's very large, is 1-3 watts nominal with peaks into the hundred watt range, your speakers can handle brief peaks way past 100W. Get those in ceilings level matched to the rest of the system you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the Paradigm in ceiling SA-15R v3 studio reference that are non-directional (Paradigm didn't offer directional at the time). Even with this, I don't think it's ever recommended to place the speaker directly over the seating position.

Rather than trying to explain speaker placement, there are tons of sites explaining set-up, including this for 7.1. I've noticed the site for "THX" varies a bit and suggest the back speakers be placed together, but I think the link below provides a more general recommendation. I think this would also apply for in-ceiling as well...Hope this helps...

http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...placement.html

·
Registered
710 Posts
Actually the THX site recommends rear channels be placed together or separated depending on if it's HD audio or Standard. I would recommend the HD audio version for better dispersion even with standard def audio.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewash /forum/post/15546687

Actually the THX site recommends rear channels be placed together or separated depending on if it's HD audio or Standard. I would recommend the HD audio version for better dispersion even with standard def audio.

that's true, and, I agree I'd separate the back speakers despite what the site recommends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts