AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in my order for the Panasonic PWD6UY and want to get a jump on the installation and wiring before it gets shipped next month. If everyone could just humor me, I have a few questions I would like some help with.

First some background. I have Direct TV with Tivo. Everything runs from the Directivo box to a Yamaha A/v receiver then out to my current POS TV with RCA cables. I want to do a wall mount with all A/V equipment remote installed in a closet adjacent to my LR. I plan to use an IR repeater from Niles to run all the gear. The basement is unfinished so fishing wires shouldn't be to difficult. My goal is to have no viable wires. The speakers will plug into outlets in the wall and everything else will run behind the plasma, inside the wall to the closet.

What is the best way to get power to the plasma? If the plasma is flush mounted to the wall I don't see how a standard outlet could be used. Besides that, I want surge protection. Should I add an extension cord then drop it to the basement through the wall then plug into a UPS? Is there a more elegant way to do this? How about a recessed outlet with whole house surge protection?

Next, I am looking at bundled wiring from Straight Wire for the hookup. My thinking is that I can run one wire from the plasma through the wall and basement then in to the closet. It has Composite, S video, and component all in one package. Good idea or not? I want to do it right the first time.

Any other things to avoid would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a recessed surge protected outlet (Levitron TVSS) behind the plasma. I didn't know how much space I'd have between the wall and the plasma to fit the electrical plug head - so I recessed the outlet behind the drywall a bit. But this isn't necessary as I found out afterwards. There's enough room between wall and plasma - about 4" to the fit the plug head. I have the Peerless flush wall mount.

The key is to install your outlet below the wallmount bracket but above the bottom of the Panny so that the outlet is in the plasma's input jack area. The Panny jack input area is actually indented so that the thickness of the plasma in that area is less than the rest of the plasma if you know what I mean. So if you're above this indented area the room between the plasma and the wall is 2" inches or so rather than 4".

So one thing I did before the Panny arrived was to purchase the wallmount and cut out of cardboard the Panny's specification and put it against the wall and mark out where to put the electrical outlet and a hole for the 2" PVC piping used to funnel and house my AV cabling. The Panny cardboard was definitely helpful in figuring out where to mount the wallmount bracket.

I fished all my cabling before hand. And I wish I used bundled wire. I didn't and it was a pain in the arse to fish the component cabling and VGA cable separately. And if you can go wider than 2" PVC - highly recommend you do so. Definitely recommend you do go with bundled wire and don't forget the BNC-RCA connectors. That was a pain in the butt to find since the RS didn't have any here. Oh and make sure you get long enough cables for everything.

Other than that - I'd recommend having another person help you slide the Panny unto the wall bracket once you're ready to go. It made life much easier especially since mine is above my fireplace.

Good luck.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The power cord issue has been discussed in the past. One solution that has been suggested (as you have yourself) is using a clock outlet (recessed outlet) behind the plasma and to wire the house for whole house surge protection. I believe that this is the best way to do this without violating code or having visible wires.

The bundled cable is an interesting concept but you may want to run DVI cables as well for possible DVI board installation in the future. Also, remember that you won't be able to use both the S-video and the composite cable at the same time. You may also want to run a second component cable or RGB cable as well to take advantage of the possible second high definition input possible.

Just some thoughts.

Spleen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.