AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a hard drive copy with WD dos utility and the new hard drive will boot but it won't load into windows completly. The mouse loads and I can move it around and the windows xp logo is also displayed.

I have tried doing FIXMBR in the recovery console but it is still same.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
This won't help you but; I had exactly the same problem after using Norton Ghost. In the end I decied it was some sort of lame M$ copy protection. I'd appreciate if you let me know if you find a solution.

Thanks,

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have to believe that something went wrong in your drive copy process. You *should* have to change more than your primary hard drive for windows xp to think that it has been tampered with, requiring re-activation. Also, if it were reactivation schema it would prompt you to reactivate your copy of xp and give you options to do so.

I may be stating the obvious (since you have already tried the recovery console) but did you notice any differences whatsoever in what is displayed when booting into "Safe Mode?"

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Did you stick the CD in and select "fix current installation" ? I dont know what this writes over but it should try and retain your configuration. Better for Alric who can start over with his ghost.

Alric, what version did you use? Rumor has it that there is a new version of ghost for XP which would be consistent with security issues. The version of ghost had to be upgraded between NT and W2k even though the disk format didn't change.

I may know the answer to the ghost issue sooner rather than later as we just go XP machines at work and people are working on a ghost.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Exact same thing happened with me too...I copied the drive using Norton Ghost. I got so frustrated trying to fix it that I just formatted and started over. I did have a backup of my important info, so it didn't hurt as much.

But I would be curious to know the cause as well.

Did u guys have a secondary HD on the same channel? I had one and I have a feeling that has something to do with it, even though its only a backup and had no OS.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Before copying the original drive's image, try turning off the swap file. Also, turn off the drive monitoring in XP (if you change the drive configuration, XP will keep looking for the other drives/partitions it is supposed to monitor).

I have successfully used Drive Image to clone partitions onto new drives.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well anyways this is what has happened with me so far, I reinstalled windows on the new drive, it booted successfully, I went to change the drive letters around in reg edit, i changed the F drive to C and the C drive to Z. I then rebooted on the new drive and the same thing happened it hovered at the winxp logo.

Therefore I loaded back up on the old drive, went into the regedit and changed the drives around again, went into the bios and loaded the new drive first which is on the slave location on the IDE cable and it successfully booted as the C drive and loaded completely into XP.

Then I tried to boot with only the new drive on the IDE 0 location with no secondary drive located and it got to the same win xp logo and hovered there. I think someone above mentioned hard drive monitoring could be the cause. Do you mean SMART monitoring in the BIOS?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
No. Windows XP has a system restore setting that monitors hard drives or partitions. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced. I am not at my XP computer but you should find it easily in one of the tabs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.