AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an HD Directivo installed this morning. The installer told me that they have started getting memos on mpeg4 and they are starting their training. He works for Michigan Microtec and said they will be doing the installs for the test market starting October 1st. He said they have been told that the dish is slightly larger, but he has not received one yet. They were told that customers with 4 lines coming from their dish will not need more (same as today). He also said that they will be testing wireless units (HMC), but he didn't know when they would arrive. They were told that they would try and move quickly to wireless to greatly cut the install time. He also mentioned that they have been telling him that the Detroit market will eventially have 150 HD stations, but he said the same thing that has been posted here many times - "I can think of a couple more stations, but I don't know where they are going to get the others from".

No real new info, but it sounds like they are confirming that the switch is very close.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Last rumor I saw online stated testing beginning Oct 1st, roll out to first 12 markets Nov 1st. Keep us posted if you are able to jump onboard for the testing. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Pre-standard wireless? A pretty risky move.

I think they are looking at wired HMC systems, perhaps before year's end, but wireless is not due until next year.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I don't understand "pre-standard". Do you mean before there is a wireless standard? Like the 802.11b standard, aka Wi-Fi? Or do you mean an adequate wireless standard? I personally like the relative reliability of the wired stuff anyway, just curious to what you were referring.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1
I don't understand "pre-standard". Do you mean before there is a wireless standard? Like the 802.11b standard, aka Wi-Fi? Or do you mean an adequate wireless standard? I personally like the relative reliability of the wired stuff anyway, just curious to what you were referring.
Adequate wireless standard.

802.11b has no quality of service features. Your streaming TV signal collides with any other datastreams and the result can be an unwatchable picture.

For an SD system, I would think 802.11n at a minimum. For HD, probably need UWB, which is not expected to be finalized until next year. Keep in mind 802.11n took 5 years to go from draft to ratification, and UWB has even more politics going on with the interested parties. 2006 may be an optimistic estimate.

I agree that a wired system is preferrable at this time.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Quote:
The testing is definately happening right now.
Are you saying that you are involved in testing in the Houston area? I'm in Freeport and would like to participate if possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.