AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of installing my lt150 in the ceiling since I am building my HT and have this as an option.

Here is how I think this might work. The projector would be placed between two floor joists(wood I beams) in my basement HT. This would be 12.5 ft from the screen location. The power cabe would be in the floor joists as well as the vga cable. The projector will sit on a 9.5 inch LVL(glum lam) which runs across the room. The projector will only be about 5 inches into the ceiling. The ceiling sheetrock would then be sloped at an angle to then matchup to the rest of the ceiling. This would be about 4 feet of sloped ceiling.

The project would be vented toward the opposite end of the joists which will remain open. I might add a fan to promote airflow. This will only be about 8 ft.

This would somewhat hide the pj and act as a hushbox. I would then slide a front access panel(painted board or polystyreene) with project hole in front.

Any comments or observations?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The LT150 exhaust out the side, I don't see how you can avoid restricting the air flow. I am assuming the joist are running perpendicular to the screen.

Jon

·
Registered
914 Posts
Pull enough air through the joist to make it seem to be in ambient air temp. and you should be fine. Place a RadioShack or other temp. monitor in the area to check the temperature and be sure nothing bad is happening.

Be sure that it's relatively easy to get to the projector for maintenance. Cleaning lens etc. You may also need to leave a port to allow the InfraRed remote to work. (ie turn the unit on/off).

-=-

Mark

·
Registered
915 Posts
If the fit is really tight, I'd be worried about obstructing airflow from the exhaust. I'd also be worried about cooking the joists and perhaps creating a fire hazard. The LT-150 gets HOT.

So I think you need to do some prep work in the area if you're going to do this. Line the area around the projector with tin for a heat shield maybe, and if you can, cut a 2" hole through the stud closest to the exhaust to allow it to vent more freely into the cavity on the other side of the projector. That should keep the heat down around the projector substantially. You might even be able to run a little bit of duct right to the exhaust and vent all of the air into the next cavity, but you'd have to make sure you use a material that won't melt or burn.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
As long as it is ventlated and you can get it out to service it you should be fine. I would be careful if you want to go to a new projector 2-4 years down the line and it is larger. don't make it to built into the room.

Also be careful if it is much hight than the screen you will get keystoneing and the correction adj. you may not be happy with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.