AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install Sony G70 on my ceiling, but I don't know how to lift this big boy. Everyday I scratch back of my head and don’t know what I should do. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
4 friends + case of beer + large pizza ?

Lots of folks have rented something called a "Genie Lift" from a tool rental place. Some other folks have used pulleys in the ceiling.

My favoriate was a forum member used 4 chains. One chain per corner of the projector, ran the chains floor to ceiling. Lifted a corner a few inches, attached the chain. Went to the next corner. This way he was lifting only a few pounds at a time, and had the projector completely supported by the 3 other chains at all times. Took him about half an hour to get it up to the ceiling.

·
Registered
849 Posts
A Genie lift is safer & easiest IMO. Also remove the feet on the lift & turn them upside down, You'll gain extra height when raising the lift. Also get some dense foam and put it on the lift table so the projector can sit on it.

Besides cushioning, it will also provide extra height.

Have everything ready to bolt the projector into the mount. A person on each side on a ladder works great.

Took about 10 minutes to secure my unit to the ceiling. And I have vaulted ceilings.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Beer and 4 buddies is my best solution. Cheaper than a Genie and more fun. Just make sure that they drink after the projector is up.

The way I did it safely was to buy 4 cheap 2 step ladders (Rubbermaid makes ones that cost about $12 at Home Depot and hold 400 lbs each).

Line the ladders up at the corners, gently flip the projector and each take a corner. Hang the projector on the ceiling mount. That's it. Less than a minute and only 40 lbs per person. Even my wife and 13 year old boy could help.

If you are really cheap, you could return the ladders, but you wouldn't be able to use them later.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another good piece of advice is to remove the lenses before mounting it, this will in many/most cases cut the weight in half or more.

Frode

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just hoisted a 1292 up to my ceiling with two chains hanging from ceiling to floor and with two people raised the unit a foot at a time. The process took about 20 min

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I bought a clone Sony G70 mount. From the picture you see a "J" slot. One half bolts to the PJ the other to the ceiling. Just lift and hook in place bolt in the safety screws and your done.

My ceiling is ~7'6" so two people dead lifting from the handles should work. start the lift from an elevated table or platform.

I know the manual says ~180 lbs it didn't seem like it lifting with the handles.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
AJF The G70 mounts I buy from CHIEF have two pivot pins per side and are built like a tank. They weigh about 40 lbs for the mount. When the G70 is hanging over my head I appreciate the strength and extra pins of the mount.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I should have clarified, 180 lbs is the G70.. Mount I'll guess 20-25lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.