AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, once more turning to the experts and instead of asking on a plumbers forum I come here...

I want to install the strainer basket for my basement sink. It came with a foam/spongy washer...do I want to use this instead of plumbers putty or caulk? I was searching for the right answer, some say to use plumbers putty, the guy at lowes said to use plumbers putty and the foam washer and another place on the net suggested silicone caulk because it provides an even better seal. So, as you can imagine I have lots of options and I am just looking for the answer of which is best. I bet some are better than others and all have their opinion. I just wanted to throw this out there, to see what you guys thought, so I can get this sink installed this afternoon. Thanks.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,173 Posts
Use the method that doesn't leak. That foam thingy is probably for under the sink.

Side view of layers from top down, strainer basket flange, plumbers putty, sink, springy washer, metal washer, tightening nut.

Silicon caulk probably will work instead of plumbers putty but it's analogous to using fiberglass tape instead of paper when taping your seams. You use what you used the last time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts