AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to install a new Radeon 9800Pro to replace my(going bad) 9500Pro. This should have been just a simple unplug and replug, but no!!!!

I keep getting the following note "The following file is either missing or corrupt. (windows/system32/config/system)". It goes on to tell me to insert the Windows XP disk and click r at the first screen. I do this, but when it comes up asking what file to repair I have no idea what to do.

What do I do at this point?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is some more info. After hitting "r" it ask this question "Which windows installtion would you like to log onto"? No matter what I input here it says this "Invalid selection. Please select a valid installation number".

What selection do I need?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Installing new PC hardware is never/ever a simple remove and replace unless the boards being swapped are absolutely identical, and yours are not. (There is a piece of software called "PCI Enumerator" that reads the hardware IDs during boot and the two boards DO NOT MATCH.) Therefore the proper way to do this is three step:

1) Run Add/Remove Hardware from Control Panel to de-install the existing video board. Before shutting down the PC, change the video mode to 640X480X16 colors (VGA).

2) Power down and change the cards.

3) During the reboot, let the "Found New Hardware" wizard do it's thing, and insert the Radeo 9800 CD at the proper time.

Now if you skipped some steps (and it sounds like you did) restart in Safe Mode and run Add/Remove Hardware to clean out the old software. Reboot and install driver software from the CD that came with the board.

Gary

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did all of these items, but Windows would never get to the point of adding New Hardware. I got an answer from another board and completely reinstalled Windows XP and got everything up and running.

Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rgathright
I did all of these items, but Windows would never get to the point of adding New Hardware. I got an answer from another board and completely reinstalled Windows XP and got everything up and running.

Thanks anyway.
For future reference, I think removing the card from the Device Manager (in My Computer) would have forced a find new hardware. You'd do that right after changing your resolution to the basic value as indicated above. After you remove it from device manager, power down, change cards, and power up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.