AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to install some new wall plates/boxes into the brick walls of my house, the walls are exterior walls, therefore, double brick..

exterior wall is "cosmetic" style brick... the internal brick walls are just generic brick which are then plastered over and painted. (most Australian homes are brick/tile, very very rarely any drywall/gyprock)

I have unscrewed some wall plates for a look, (and to replace some plates with better plates), behind is a plastic or metal "box".. with a half open backing that goes into the wall cavity. The wall plate then screws onto this box.

attached are some pics of some wall plates I have, a before and after pic of changing one of my existing wall plates (from single coax to a component/composite/svideo/f-type wall plate), and pics of plastic and metal wall boxes.

I want to install wall box/plates behind the rear surround speakers (mounted on wall brackets), and run wiring through the walls/roof down to the otherside of the room where the AV equip will be. I'm running the projector component lead the same way.

Generally wall boxes are fitted into the wall during the construction stage of the house (brick is cut, box is fitted)... then internal wall plastering is done over the top.

I've noticed the box is firmly plastered in, leaving only the main box area and mounting screw holes visible..

I need advise on getting new wall boxes in the walls. (cut plaster, cut brick, fit box, re plaster, re paint? (big mess!!) or? )

A mate of mine suggested just drilling holes in the wall to suit my new wall plates, and dont use a wall box, just use wall plugs and screw the wall plate directly into the brick wall (using plastic wall plugs).. This method seems a bit rough, but it also seems the easiest.

Another cleaner method would be to drill a hole in the wall for the wiring to fit through, and user a riser block/plate attached to the wall, then the wall plate attaches to that rise plate / block, but that would appear pretty ugly, trying to keep things looking NICE.

suggestions welcome!

Thanks, James

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
some more pics attached

showing replaced generic wall plate (with tv coax), with the newer flashier wall plate (for projector leads and F-type for RG6 dualsheild coax for sat tv)

I'm holding my new "speaker binding posts" wall plate where I'd like to fit it to the wall... this plate will wire to the rear speakers (8 posts, for bi-wiring)

James

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
For low voltage wiring, you don't need a wall box here in the states. So you can just drill a hole and mount the plates on the brick with some anchors. Another possibility is a low profile box, surface mounted on the brick. The low profile boxes are about 1 inch thick and will probably be seen after the wall plates are attached.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool, I dont want to use a low profile box (or riser) the plates will stick out too far and be "ugly".. urmm, I guess I'll do my best to ream out the brick, creating enough rear clearance for the bindingposts/leads, etc... and use wall plugs to screw the wall plate into the brick wall.. :)

I'll see how I go this weekend.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
If the connections are behind on-wall speakers, you don't even need plates. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the connections are behind on-wall speakers, however the speakers will be on brackets that sit slightly out from the wall. I dont really want the speakers right up against the wall.

anyway, i ended up cutting a rectangle out of the plaster on the wall, down to brick depth, so that when i hit it with the hammer drill it doesnt smash the plaster to bits everywhere... it worked a treat, I drilled into the brick just enough so the binding posts fit into the wall, and then drilled one large hole (about 1") for the wiring to go through..

worked out very well, very happy, using regular wall plugs and screws to mount the wall plates over the holes.

one pic shows wall mount speaker bracket (some of it), with new hole above it for speaker terminal wall plate. other pic shows original wall box (in the middle) with an S-video cable coming out (temporary), new hole cut to the left, with wall plug holes, etc. four runs of speaker cable for the rears (bi-wiring), to go into wall, up wall, through roof, down opposite wall (where the speaker brackets/holes are)

coming along nicely, and my new Yamaha RX-V657 arrived yesterday, most happy :)

working on a budget!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changed the thread title coz it's turning out to be more than just wall plates on brick walls! hah.

more recent pics:

Diamond 8.1 on spkr bracket, with gold binding post wall plate (bi-wired)

Diamond 8.1 rears on the walls... (need a heavy curtain for that window!)

My Yamaha RX-V657 on the coffee table during testing... the room is much cleaner now

more soon!

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
HAH! What a n00b. Only three remotes... ;) :D

Seriously, excellent job on the speaker mounts! Having to go through brick sure makes one appreciate sheetrock.

How did you get cable to the distribution plates? :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha, thanks for that :) (three remotes) hehehe

double brick walls. (with gap between them).

got on roof, pulled some tiles off, dangled the wires down the cavity of the wall (about 2" wide cavity), while my missus pulled the cables thru the holes in the wall with a hook, from inside the house. took some mucking around!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.