AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting newer used tubes for my 6 PG plus. From what I have read I do not think I should attempt to install these myself. The only way I would try it is if I got very detailed instructions on how to do it. My 2 part question is:

1. Does anyone have detailed instructions (step by every little step) on how to take out and put in tubes for a NEC 6 PG plus projector?

2. Is there any one in Southern California (other than Doug Baisey) who can install these tubes for me or does anyone know of someone who lives in Southern California who has experience doing this and can refer me to them?

I would try to contract with Doug Baisey to do it, but from past email correspondence with him (extremely helpful emails - Doug knows everything), he seems to be a very busy man with his business so I doubt he would be able to schedule me in.

thanks for any suggestions and referrals

Peter F.

· Registered
18,489 Posts
hammerheadtech.com can probably do it. They're in Chico, Ca.

Tell Darrell I sent you.

Curt

· Registered
4,018 Posts
PeterF, I can also do this for you. I am very well versed in this, and live in LA as well.

Marc

· Registered
3,422 Posts
Pete,

send me an email,

i then will forward you instructions on doing the job,

its not hard,just take your time....i no nothing about CRT`s or tubes and it took me about 2-3 hrs....

tommy

· Registered
876 Posts
A differing view. No, it's not hard to simply change the CRTs. What is difficult is astig adjustments, getting the focus magnetics at the proper position on the yoke and adjusting the centering magnets properly. Unless you have a decent idea of what you're getting into I'd find someone local. It can prevent a lot of heartache. Regards.

· Registered
4,531 Posts
PeterF,

I gave this a great amount of thought over the last few months, for years I just havent had much time to do anything fun that didnt involve work (Corp) or allow me to slow down.

I made some changes the last couple of weeks that will allow me to do some of these things that I enjoy and to stay home more.

I hate to admit that Im getting older and with that different priorities, after a week or so I should have more time to take in some of the members projects and turn it back in to a hobby that I enjoy doing. Doug

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reponses. This is very helpful. My next day off I will get back to everybody. I'm in no rush to change the tubes though, because I am getting new carpet soon, and my place will get turned upside down in the process.

thanks very much

Peter F.

· Registered
6,140 Posts
I've done about a half a dozen tube swaps on ECP's this year with great results. Is there something that is much more difficult with NEC's that I should look out for? I've spent the last 12 months trying to figure out what makes an ECP tick. Now all my ECP's tick like a swiss clock. Now it's time to move on. I now have an NEC PG PLUS that I plan on getting intimate with.. With all the menu options, it'll be a while before I get tired of fooling around with it, I hope.

Chip S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.