AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to choose a wireless system for a new construction, i am not looking for a large installation, i want to control and put schedule on lights in living room, master bedroom , verranda and outside perimeter light, Nest thermostat and maybe some fan.

I am looking at those two system and need expert advise to pick the better system, i might want to add some switch in the years to come. Also, do i need to run special wires for either the insteon or caseta?

I would like to control everything on ipad.

Thanks

Christian

·
Registered
21 Posts
I need to choose a wireless system for a new construction, i am not looking for a large installation, i want to control and put schedule on lights in living room, master bedroom , verranda and outside perimeter light, Nest thermostat and maybe some fan.

I am looking at those two system and need expert advise to pick the better system, i might want to add some switch in the years to come. Also, do i need to run special wires for either the insteon or caseta?

Thanks

Christian
Christian,

I would suggest INSTEON, it is based off of X10 and communicates over RF Dual Band and Powerlines. You can accomplish everything you'd like with these switches as well, and for almost half the price of Lutron. I would suggest the ISY as the controller as it's flexibility is hard to beat. I like the NEST thermostat ever since they opened up their API as well. You do not need to run any special wires for INSTEON, just remember like any light switch that needs to draw power to itself to work, you need a neutral wire at each switch.

Hope this helps

Frank

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honestly, I'm partial to the Lutron. But then again it integrates easy with my alarm and video stuff with Alarm.com and suretyDIY.

I looked at RadioRa2, but I ended up just getting a couple rooms done.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hey Frank, where do you shop for Insteon? From what I have seen, Insteon is about the same as Caseta.

http://www.smarthome.com/switchlinc-dimmer-insteon-2477d-remote-control-dimmer-dual-band-white.html

http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-PD-6WCL-WH-Caseta-Wireless-600-watt/dp/B00KLAXFQA

Also, do they have something like Pico remote? Those are great.
I got most of my Insteon dimmers late last year from Costco. They had a pack of 4 for $150. Here it is: http://www.costco.com/Insteon-Dimmer-Switch-with-Wall-Plate-4-Pack.product.100083308.html

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have three of the insteon dimmers in my home theater and I love them. However, I have not been able to figure out how to control them with my harmony remote control. I see that you guys mentioned the ISY? Can you please elaborate on which of the ISY models I would need to create scenes with my harmony? Any help is much appreciated. I actually was in the early stages of swapping them out for the caseta dimmers but decided to hold off. Hopefully, with some additional information, I'll be able to keep them and return the casetas.

·
Registered
27,353 Posts
Boy, I really like my Honeywell Vista system / Zwave with Tuxedo Touch controller. Use Total Connect App. Does it all and very reliable! Thermostats, lights, landscape lights, door locks. Low cost and after panel instal, I installed and programmed myself.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Thanks

Christian
I went with the Caseta dimmers and I am really happy with them. I got the Lutron Smart Hub Pro so I could integrate it into my Savant system. I believe you can integrate that hub into a number of 3rd party control systems. They have worked every time I tried to use them, they install easily and do not require special wiring. The range is good too. Expanding your system is very easy too. Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: luisev

·
Registered
275 Posts
Boy, I really like my Honeywell Vista system / Zwave with Tuxedo Touch controller. Use Total Connect App. Does it all and very reliable! Thermostats, lights, landscape lights, door locks. Low cost and after panel instal, I installed and programmed myself.

I was wondering if you were still happy with your honeywell Tuxedo Total Connect? I recently DIY installed a system in my home with 19 zones and activated it today with Alarmgrid. My next step is to purchase a few Z Wave items to try out. Would you mind sharing which z wave items you purchased so I'll know they're easily integrated.

Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have three of the insteon dimmers in my home theater and I love them. However, I have not been able to figure out how to control them with my harmony remote control. I see that you guys mentioned the ISY? Can you please elaborate on which of the ISY models I would need to create scenes with my harmony? Any help is much appreciated. I actually was in the early stages of swapping them out for the caseta dimmers but decided to hold off. Hopefully, with some additional information, I'll be able to keep them and return the casetas.
Just to update, I figured out how to remotely control each of my Insteon dimmer switches using a Logitech harmony ultimate home remote control and an Insteon 2411R receiver. Remote control works like a charm now.

·
Registered
27,353 Posts
I was wondering if you were still happy with your honeywell Tuxedo Total Connect? I recently DIY installed a system in my home with 19 zones and activated it today with Alarmgrid. My next step is to purchase a few Z Wave items to try out. Would you mind sharing which z wave items you purchased so I'll know they're easily integrated.

Thanks
Still like it. On occasion, I have to reboot the Tuxedo Touch as Total Connect will lose connection.

That said, I like it so much, I added the same system and a dozen ZWAVE devices to control our vacation home... Which is on Lake Michigan in the middle of no where!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Still like it. On occasion, I have to reboot the Tuxedo Touch as Total Connect will lose connection.

That said, I like it so much, I added the same system and a dozen ZWAVE devices to control our vacation home... Which is on Lake Michigan in the middle of no where!:D

Perfect! I have since installed two outdoor honeywell IP cameras and they are working really nicely. I just ordered two thermostats (honeywell) and will get to the door locks next. Shortly thereafter, I plan on adding some lights to the equation. Your vacation home is very nice!! I can only imagine what your main residence looks like!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts