AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do some upgrading to my X-10 network. I'm wondering if the newer technologies, like Insteon or UPB, are catching on well enough that I shold start going with them, or stay with standard X-10. It will be a mixed network for many years to come (I see no reason to replace a couple of dozen X-10 wall switches), so I need something with X-10 compatability.

So, what's catching on? Insteon? UPB? Something else entirely?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't think I'd personally invest in more X10 at this point, but if it's working well for you what the heck - you can't beat the price.

As for the other technologies, I use Insteon in my home and I'm happy with it. Zwave seems to have a lot of momentum with some big names behind them (Cooper, Leviton, etc.) - but I don't particularly like most of the Zwave switches I've seen.

I think they all have such a relatively low market penetration that the "winner" is still up for grabs, and I suspect that will be the case for quite a while.

I always recommend someone purchase a couple of devices from each technology to try out since much of the deciding factors are personal preference. Sell what you don't use on the forums or eBay.

Good luck!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I had an installation of about 20+ X10 devices in my prior house and used HomeSeer to control them. When I moved almost two years ago, I knew I wanted to stick with HomeSeer, but I wanted something more robust than X10. After much effort and trouble-shooting, my X10 was fairly reliable, but not immune to random lights on/off or missed commands.

I chose Insteon, which was truly an infant at the time. I now have about 21 months with Insteon and it has been very robust and reliable (and quite fast). Since I moved, I didn't need to integrate it with a legacy X10 system, but I would have probably tried that in my old house.

As Mike suggested, I tried a few switches just to test it out at first. It went pretty smoothly in terms of the Insteon side (HomeSeer's support of Insteon was in beta earlier on, but is now quite stable, in my experience). I now have a total of about 16 devices that are truly reliable. I'm actually looking to expand my Insteon cababilities now.

Again, it has matured nicely. I had been waiting for direct IR support, which is finally here. Other solutions have also built up over the last two years, including more switch and adapter choices.

Clearly, this isn't a comparative vote, since I didn't try the others, but my experience for Insteon has been positive and a pleasant upgrade over X10.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys. It sounds like Insteon is the way to go. I'll order a couple of pieces and if all goes well start replacing X-10 as they fail (which to be honest, isn't very often!).

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts