AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interstellar Bass Warning

After a few people have mentioned blowing up speakers on this movie I thought I'd do some audio analysis on it.

During the blackhole falling scene just after his voice vibrates, at 2hrs:20mins in, there is a 75% volume 10-20hz bass effect in the center channel, and similar bass frequencies at a much lower 25% volume in the LFE channel.
The Left and Right channels have no infra-bass worth mentioning.
So if you run your center channel full-range like me, it better be damn beefy drivers man!

(Or run them small at no lower than 40hz.)

Other than this particular scene, the movie is mostly centered around 29-35hz and above. (and a lot of it.) So I suppose if your subs can't handle 29-35hz then this movie could be equally as dangerous too.

But this movie is hardly worthy of a sub-subwoofer 5 Star ULF-tard award like WOTW... or something. ;) :p

Anyhow... ye be warned. (Especially if you have 7 channel bass-redirection to the LFE channel activated, your sub could explode.)

Attachments

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
After a few people have mentioned blowing up speakers on this movie I thought I'd do some audio analysis on it.

During the blackhole falling scene just after his voice vibrates, at 2hrs:20mins in, there is a 75% volume 10-20hz bass effect in the center channel, and similar bass frequencies at a much lower 25% volume in the LFE channel.
So if you run your center channel full-range like me, it better be damn beefy drivers man!

Other than this particular scene, the movie is mostly centered around 29-35hz and above. (and a lot of it.) So I suppose if your subs can't handle 29-35hz then this movie could be equally as dangerous too.

But this movie is hardly worthy of a sub-subwoofer 5 Star ULF-tard award like WOTW... or something. ;) :p

Anyhow... ye be warned. (Especially if you have 7 channel bass-redirection to the LFE channel activated, your sub could explode.)
So the other measurements of this movie showing no sub-20hz content are different types of measurement or?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I took a spectragram of the music soundtrack for Interstellar a little while ago:

A massive, sustained note at 20 Hz - and this was just from the music OST, not the movie! The danger in Interstellar is not so much from bottoming out drivers (unless you have a peculiar setup like BassThatHz), it is from burning out a voice coil from so much sustained energy at a low frequency.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just now realized (after years) that I've been running my receiver settings wrong. I feel dumb. I've had my front set to large thinking the 80hz crossover was still applied. I don't think I damaged my speakers watching this movie....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I just now realized (after years) that I've been running my receiver settings wrong. I feel dumb. I've had my front set to large thinking the 80hz crossover was still applied. I don't think I damaged my speakers watching this movie....

Not unless you really crank it up! -15db from reference is probabaly ok... But past that it can start getting iffy depending on the speaker.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I had stuff vibrtate off the walls and break and my front firing subwoofer acutally moved a few inches.

Reactions: DonRSD and Tomcup

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not unless you really crank it up! -15db from reference is probabaly ok... But past that it can start getting iffy depending on the speaker.

Luckily my Denon never makes it past -25db volume setting so the new Ascends should be ok. Plus I immediately turned it down because the bass was so loud and drawn out (live in a condo and run dual subs!). I'm not really sure what logic I was going with for small vs large lol.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
My right rear surround caused me the most problem. We were hearing this vibration and I told my wife it was the movie, but it continued, so I got up to check it out and sure enough it was the speaker. I folded some paper and put it behind one of the corners to tame that thing down.

I'm currently making 12 acoustic panels. I wish I would've had them up when I watched Interstellar. :)

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So the other measurements of this movie showing no sub-20hz content are different types of measurement or?
Links?

Maybe they did it wrong (averaging? Peaks?), or maybe they didn't look hard enough?
I always check the LCR and LFE, not just the LFE.

As you can see it is only a few cycles lasting only a few milliseconds at negative a zillion dbFS, spanning 10 seconds, of a 3 hour long movie. Certainly not as killer as the EOT effect. But there it is!

In this case the Center has more LFE than the LFE does. LOL!
and this isn't the first movie where that has been true.
EOT is another one where the center has some

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Ha, I thought this movie was intense. Probably had it set to at least -10db and almost got thrown out of my seat from the base shakers near the end. However, nothing seems to have been damaged. Now I'll have check whether I was running small or large on the center.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts

Yes I though my walls where going to come down my 800Diamond were just fine and theSubs JL Audio F113 were making the chairs move :eek:

·
Registered
178 Posts
As a general question... Is there only the danger of damaging a speaker or sub if this movie is listened to at very high volumes? If listened to at moderate volumes is this still a potential issue?

I would like to see this.... But now I'm worried about my F12...

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I have a combination of my big subs plus the added bass shakers crossed over at 40hz. The shakers definitely add some to this movie that the subwoofers alone did not. If you crank the subs up even higher to get more tactile sense, they don't feel balanced with the rest of the speakers.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
As a general question... Is there only the danger of damaging a speaker or sub if this movie is listened to at very high volumes? If listened to at moderate volumes is this still a potential issue?

Your F12 will be fine :) My F13 were making the walls vibrate and nails were coming out of the walls :D

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

The danger is a very strong continuous bass tone can overheat the voice coil because it does not give the voice coil time to cool down. The voice coil is a copper wire wrapped around a tube and is fed current to produce a magnetic field, and it can melt and short itself out, it can burn out, etc, if it gets too hot. This isn't a concern if your have good speakers and subs which won't be taxed by that material, but if your stuff is cheap consumer products, yeah, you can kill it. A f12 would be vulnerable to that sort of thing if listened to at loud enough volumes. If you don't blast the movie, you should be ok. If you do blast the movie and fry your sub, well, hey, an excuse to upgrade!

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Although Interstellar nearly caused the voice coils of my UM18-22s to melt, I believe WOTW has more crazy bass.:D

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Links?

Maybe they did it wrong (averaging? Peaks?), or maybe they didn't look hard enough?
I always check the LCR and LFE, not just the LFE.

As you can see it is only a few cycles lasting only a few milliseconds at negative a zillion dbFS, spanning 10 seconds, of a 3 hour long movie. Certainly not as killer as the EOT effect. But there it is!

In this case the Center has more LFE than the LFE does. LOL!
and this isn't the first movie where that has been true.
EOT is another one where the center has some

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
So WOTW is supposed to be just as bad if not worse? I didt care for it as much as the 50s one, but I might re watch for that

1 - 20 of 317 Posts