Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

I'm in the beginning stages of my HT project and have been doing research on AVSForum for over a year. THANK YOU EVERYONE for all the valuable advice!!

I needed a supplier for the Insul-SHIELD (or equivalent) for sound absorbing. I have some calls into A/C Contracting suppliers but no answers as of yet.

Before I called the entire yellow pages, I was wondering if anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX area had found a supply for this type of material?

BTW - I did some searches on AVSForum and did not see a source in my area for the product.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Steve

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Clue,

Thanks for the tip. Lowes shows to be a supplier of the JM material. I talked with the commercial guy at Lowes and he will let me know tomorrow if he can get it. Hopefully he can and my search will be over :)

I'll let everyone know my findings as soon as I find out.

Steve

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Big boxes weren't much help for me. I did the search, and found a local gypsum supply company which ordered 2 rolls.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geordon,

I you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost? For the entire roll or per foot?

Steve

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesTivo
I you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?
I get that question a lot. Unfortunately, I purchased it over 3 yrs ago, and can't find my receipt. Needless to say, prices have gone up several times since then, so I can't say it would be a fair comparison, anyways.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
drdk, I have a PM into Bpape. Thanks for the tip.

Geordon, thanks for the info.

I let everyone know once I find a supplier.

Steve

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,574 Posts
The 48 inch x 100ft x 1inch thick JM Linacoustic RC was $125 here west of DC.

Also many times vendors repackage a product and label it theater at twice the cost. here is a good reference of product substitutions compiled by BasementBob:

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

got the JM At McCormicks in Mannassas VA.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I concur with BIGmouth. Go with the Linacoustic RC and you will save some dollars and it is the same product. There have been several posts stating that JM relabeled Linacoustic as Insul-Shield, specified it was for home theaters, and more than double the price. It should be relative easy to find. Call all your local HVAC Supply shops and ask for it and you should be able to find it. In my area, it was also right around $125 for a 48 inch x100ft x 1inch think roll. The Insul-Shield was over $300 for a similar roll when I was purchasing the product.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wel, I found it at one place but the price is not as attractive as what others had quoted.

It's JM Permacoat Linacoustic 1" x 59 1/2 x 100' for $253.52. It may be more because it's wider than the normal 48" stuff. He did not carry the 48". I found it at EO Wood 972-323-8811.

I will continue to look for a less expensive source.

Steve

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well here ya go.

I found a supplier for the insulation but it's a different manufacturer. This one is made by Knauf and is called "Duck Liner E+M". The spec for 1" at 125Hz is .18 which is double what JM 1" Linacoustic RC does at the same frequency. All the others freqs are very similar to JM Linacoustic.

Just for the Dallas folks, here is the place:

General Insulation

214-688-7000

Knauf Duct Liner E+M: 47 1/2 x 50' (possibly a 100') Roll $129.59

Manuf Link: Knauf Liner E+M Details

I still have a call into one other place to see if I can get something else that might be a bit cheaper. Nice part, I only need 48' -- so I can scrape by as long as I don't mess up :D This stuff should be outstanding (doubled up at 2") for my corner bass traps.

Steve

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ryan,

Well, the guy told me 50'. However, if you go to the Knauf website, they only sell it in 100' rolls. So your guess is as good as mine. I hope it's 100' because that's a damn good price on that much material!!

I'm still about 6 weeks away from the purchase, so I'll probably ping him closer to that time.

Give him a call. He was a really nice guy -- just not sure if he knows a lot about the product. Wish I could help more.

Steve

·
Registered
452 Posts
You can get INshulshield coated black 1" at Lowes. They can special order it for you. Unfortunately it is expensive @ $500 per 100 ft. roll. I needed 120-130 feet so I had to order two rolls. I was able to find a buyer on avsforum in about 4 hours for the remaining Insulshield so I only paid for what I used.

Good Luck.

Lou

·
Registered
49 Posts
In the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area I've had very good success with Insulation Supply Co. I recently purchased Johns Manville Insul-SHIELD sheet goods (2' x 4' x 1"), however ISC should be able to get any JM product/variety. Ask for Brian and mention my name!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.