AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was insulating my downstairs bathroom and my cousin pointed out that fiberglass insulation easily molds.

Is it safe to insulate with fiberglass around copper pipes? I'm a little concerned now.
fiberglass is the only material we use in comercial plumbing in Ca

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fiberglass is the only material we use in comercial plumbing in Ca

Good to know! Thanks brother!

Do you recommend the foam insulation around it? I was talking to a friend and he recommended that I put that around my copper pipes (especially the cold water pipe).

·
Registered
901 Posts
Why did you put in the insulation? For sound or for temperature control? The insulation will prevent temperature transfer to the room above. I would invest in insulation the floor with foam boards if your primary concern is temperature.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good question. I put it up purely for sound. I was originally going to place roxul and channel, but after doing some research and after calling a well respected company on the board I decided to place the insulation.

The company I spoke with was very nice and he explained he could sell me a tone of stuff and in the end it may not make a huge difference due to the fact that some rock was there and is not insulated and the fact that I have a ton of 6 inch cans.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you ease my mind one more time please. I have my hot and cold water copper pipe lines running east and west in my basement and I cocrred over them with r-19. The guy at menards told me today to put foam around it first as the fiberglass will corpse the copper pipes over time!

Also, is it ok to put fiberglass bats over PEX?

I'm freakingnout because they already covered the ceiling in rock today. I could have them take those sections down if I really need to.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I did the same thing with insulating my basent ceiling with R19 pink stuff. I did however also insulate all my water pipes before putting in the figergalss. I didn't use paper faced though in the ceiling like you did. I don't know if you would ever have a problem. I did my pipes mainly because I was afraid of condensation dripping down on the drywall. Not sure that would ever happen really. Also I made sure to keep the open side to the top and then zip tied it. I used the foam wrap type insulation for my pipes. It's the stuff that looks like the old bike pads I had on my old dirt bike as a kid.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the same thing with insulating my basent ceiling with R19 pink stuff. I did however also insulate all my water pipes before putting in the figergalss. I didn't use paper faced though in the ceiling like you did. I don't know if you would ever have a problem. I did my pipes mainly because I was afraid of condensation dripping down on the drywall. Not sure that would ever happen really. Also I made sure to keep the open side to the top and then zip tied it. I used the foam wrap type insulation for my pipes. It's the stuff that looks like the old bike pads I had on my old dirt bike as a kid.
I wish I would have done that. That's what I should have done. The rock is all up now so it's too late. :(

I did put insulation in my soffits and I originally wasn't going to. In the soffits I used R-30 non faced and it fit like a glove.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I really don't think you have anything to worry about. It may of been over kill but I did just because. There are a few things that now I look back and say "dang I should of done that" but in the end it came down to getting things done. I would of never gotten to the drywall and as it was it took a very long time for me to get to that point. I don't think I'd sweat it if I were you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really don't think you have anything to worry about. It may of been over kill but I did just because. There are a few things that now I look back and say "dang I should of done that" but in the end it came down to getting things done. I would of never gotten to the drywall and as it was it took a very long time for me to get to that point. I don't think I'd sweat it if I were you.
I appreciate the info! Your build was inspiring. I wish my insulation job looked as nice as yours. The insulation made a HUGE difference though. I'm very glad I did it!

They are in the process of taping and mudding now.

Where did you get your trim? I have oak now, but I'm thinking of doing white trim in the basement and leaving the oak upstairs. I think it will look a little goofy, but I hate to purchase more oak trim and I'm planning on putting up crown molding.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I got my trim from Home Depot. I wish I new the specifics on it but I don't. I'm pretty sure it's the widest they had though. The wife really liked the way it looked so we went with it. I wouldn't worry about matching it to the rest of the house. I had that thought as well but I got some advice early on that it's OK to treat this area as a totally separate part of the house. I'm glad I did too. I have just basic trim throughout the rest of the house and some day may plan to upgrade it all to what I have in the basement. I really liked the thicker look. And I'm a big fan of white trim and doors. It makes a nice contrast to the richer deeper colors that I like to use for other things.

Yes I'm also glad I did the insulation. I was going to use roxul in the ceiling but when it came down to price it was twice as much and I had heard reports that it doesn't make much difference. In the end my basement isn't "sound proof" but it didn't really need to be. I just wanted to do what I could to help keep the sound down there when listening to music or watching a movie. And my bedrooms are on the second story of the house so I can watch a movie at a pretty good volume late at night and got no backlash from the wife! So for me that is mission accomplished :)

Oh I wanted to ask. Are the guy's that are doing your drywall tape and mud also doing cleanup? I did all my own cleanup and I have to say it's not fun! not at all.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I was insulating my downstairs bathroom and my cousin pointed out that fiberglass insulation easily molds.

Is it safe to insulate with fiberglass around copper pipes? I'm a little concerned now.
totally safe to insulate copper in fiberglass. pex also. unless you have a wicked cross breeze coming in for some reason you are fine. you don't have to worry about the copper sweating either unless again a crazy breeze coming through for some reason in an older home. you are cool.

you don't need any pipe wrap also. only if you again knew the pipes were going to be exposed to drastic changes in temp. thats why your copper and pex in run in front of insulation in homes.

you didn't need paper faced insulation though. don't worry

jim

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Can you ease my mind one more time please. I have my hot and cold water copper pipe lines running east and west in my basement and I cocrred over them with r-19. The guy at menards told me today to put foam around it first as the fiberglass will corpse the copper pipes over time!

Also, is it ok to put fiberglass bats over PEX?

I'm freakingnout because they already covered the ceiling in rock today. I could have them take those sections down if I really need to.
insulate away for pex. it doesn't sweat.

jim

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I would advise to use foam pipe insulation (or rubber, if you're in the chips) if you want the most quiet environment possible. Who knows -- you may decide to add a hot water pump to a remotely-located bathroom sink. In that case, the pipes will be gurgling more often than expected and a little sound isolation will be appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got my trim from Home Depot. I wish I new the specifics on it but I don't. I'm pretty sure it's the widest they had though. The wife really liked the way it looked so we went with it. I wouldn't worry about matching it to the rest of the house. I had that thought as well but I got some advice early on that it's OK to treat this area as a totally separate part of the house. I'm glad I did too. I have just basic trim throughout the rest of the house and some day may plan to upgrade it all to what I have in the basement. I really liked the thicker look. And I'm a big fan of white trim and doors. It makes a nice contrast to the richer deeper colors that I like to use for other things.

Yes I'm also glad I did the insulation. I was going to use roxul in the ceiling but when it came down to price it was twice as much and I had heard reports that it doesn't make much difference. In the end my basement isn't "sound proof" but it didn't really need to be. I just wanted to do what I could to help keep the sound down there when listening to music or watching a movie. And my bedrooms are on the second story of the house so I can watch a movie at a pretty good volume late at night and got no backlash from the wife! So for me that is mission accomplished :)

Oh I wanted to ask. Are the guy's that are doing your drywall tape and mud also doing cleanup? I did all my own cleanup and I have to say it's not fun! not at all.
Sweet. I'm going to go with white trim then. I like your trim a lot. I don't have a home depot here, but we do have menards. How many coats of paint did you use to paint your trim and doors?

Also, what color did you paint your walls. I think I'm going to go with a grey also. I think yours turned out great!

My dry wall guys better come and clean up. I'm paying them $6,500 for the basement and a lot of it is already drywalled, but they need to patch and smooth some areas. They also redid my living room ceiling upstairs and are patching my ceiling in my kitchen as well as some other spots. That includes all the drywall and materials, but I felt it's still pretty pricey.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

totally safe to insulate copper in fiberglass. pex also. unless you have a wicked cross breeze coming in for some reason you are fine. you don't have to worry about the copper sweating either unless again a crazy breeze coming through for some reason in an older home. you are cool.

you don't need any pipe wrap also. only if you again knew the pipes were going to be exposed to drastic changes in temp. thats why your copper and pex in run in front of insulation in homes.

you didn't need paper faced insulation though. don't worry

jim
\

Thanks Jim! That makes me feel a TON better!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Sweet. I'm going to go with white trim then. I like your trim a lot. I don't have a home depot here, but we do have menards. How many coats of paint did you use to paint your trim and doors?

Also, what color did you paint your walls. I think I'm going to go with a grey also. I think yours turned out great!

My dry wall guys better come and clean up. I'm paying them $6,500 for the basement and a lot of it is already drywalled, but they need to patch and smooth some areas. They also redid my living room ceiling upstairs and are patching my ceiling in my kitchen as well as some other spots. That includes all the drywall and materials, but I felt it's still pretty pricey.
I think I did like 3 coats of white on the trim. They were already primed white but still needed paint. Also after it's put up I have begun to fill in the holes then I throw a quick coat of paint over them again to cover the filler.

As for the walls to be honest I'm not sure any more what the exact colors are called. If I can dig out the original swatches I'd be able to tell you. I have some left over cans but they were color matched to the originals and only have the codes on them not the names.

For my drywall I think I paid 2 grand even. But that said I bought the materials and carried it all down into the basement myself. 3 guy's came and hung it for me in one day then another guy came and did the tape and mud in 3 day's. I did all the cleanup and removal of the waste so it was a ton of work still even though I didn't actually hang any myself. That stuff isn't cheap and if that includes mats and more labor then I suppose it's fair.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I did like 3 coats of white on the trim. They were already primed white but still needed paint. Also after it's put up I have begun to fill in the holes then I throw a quick coat of paint over them again to cover the filler.

As for the walls to be honest I'm not sure any more what the exact colors are called. If I can dig out the original swatches I'd be able to tell you. I have some left over cans but they were color matched to the originals and only have the codes on them not the names.

For my drywall I think I paid 2 grand even. But that said I bought the materials and carried it all down into the basement myself. 3 guy's came and hung it for me in one day then another guy came and did the tape and mud in 3 day's. I did all the cleanup and removal of the waste so it was a ton of work still even though I didn't actually hang any myself. That stuff isn't cheap and if that includes mats and more labor then I suppose it's fair.
I did 2 coats. I have a home depot about an hour away. I'm in the Guard and military get an extra 10% which always helps. So I like shopping at the depot when I can :) I bought my trim from Menards, but I like yours better. I paid $12 per 8ft and they are primed as well. I went with semi gloss. I don't like gloss, but I wanted to be able to clean it if need be. Did you go with semi gloss as well?

Taking down the drywall would have been a back breaker. I'm so glad I didn't have to do that. I still feel $6,500 is a lot, but it will be all taken care of by next Tuesday. Then I can get my bar set up and paint up.

No worries about the paint color. I'm leaning toward a grey, but my upstairs is oak trim so I went with Nomadic Desert from SW. So I'm also considering a beige for the basement.

Last question, where did you get your bathroom tile :) I dig it! I custom ordered some tile, but I'm having second thoughts and to send it back with restocking fee is $200! I'm likely going to keep it in case I have a project and will get some tile like yours. It looks clean and nice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts