AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Insulating Concrete Forms are basically forms for poured concrete walls. Unlike traditional concrete wall construction which utilizes steel or aluminum forming panels that are removed after the concrete is poured, ICF formwork stays in place to become a permanent part of an insulated wall assembly. The lightweight forms, made of foam insulation, are either pre-formed interlocking blocks or separate panels with plastic ties. The left-in-place formwork not only provides a continuous insulation and sound barrier, but also a backing for drywall on the inside, and stucco, lap siding or brick on the outside."

This information was from this web site:

http://www.brickandsupply.com/icf 's.htm

Does any one have any experience using ICF to build their home theater?

What are the up-front costs compared to stick construction?

thanks

·
Registered
631 Posts
Here is a link. link I would be surprised if anyone has. Building a home with ICF's is sort of new in the states. I would have to say it would be cheaper to stick build it. Although I love the idea of using concrete. I would have built a Monolithic Dome if she had let me. In stead we wiped out half a forest for our house. The pour little birdies and squirrels. For the ICF's you almost have to have a concrete pump to pour a wall.

For a double 2x4 wall 16inch on center with a double top plate would be @

2x4x8's 155 @ $2.50 +$387.50

2X4X10's 18 @ $3.50 =$42

2x4x12's 12 @ $4.50 =$54

4x8x1/2 17 plywd @ $9 =$153

Total $ 636.50 for the lumber for walls. No windows or door framing included.

That's no insulation or nails just a double 2x4 wall for the exterior and adding a new wall at the house for isolation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.