AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built a 15" tall riser for my basement HT room that is about 7' deep by 9' wide. The floor underneath the riser is concrete. The following are my questions:

- Do I need to insulate the entire cavity? Or just the majority of the cavity?

- Should I put a plastic sheet down over the concrete floor before installing the insulation?

- What type of insulation should I use (ie F/G batts, loose fill, cellulose, etc).

- Anything else I should be aware of prior to insulating?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Filling the entire cavity pretty much ensures the riser won't resonate. Leaving part of the cavity empty leaves some risk that the riser might resonate. An acoustician could probably model the thing and give you a quantitative response, but without that, you're probably best to fill as much of the cavity as you can.

Quote:
Should I put a plastic sheet down over the concrete floor before installing the insulation?

You don't want the insulation to get wet (all sorts of good reasons to avoid that), so if you're at all worried about moisture coming up through the concrete, adding a layer of thick plastic would be a good precaution.

Quote:
What type of insulation should I use (ie F/G batts, loose fill, cellulose, etc).

Seems like most people use fiberglass batts, probably because it's cheap and easy. I don't know that it makes much difference, so long as it fills the cavity and doesn't settle.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightp /forum/post/20803402

Seems like most people use fiberglass batts, probably because it's cheap and easy. I don't know that it makes much difference, so long as it fills the cavity and doesn't settle.

From what I have seen, a lot of people use sand as opposed to batts.

EDIT: Since Im an idiot and cant read, ignore that. Its riser, not stage lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts