AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm renovating my townhouse. I have decided to hang my speakers and tv on the shared wall. Here is my dilemma: Does it make any sense to use green glue to sound proof a wall that will later be cut for speakers wires and tv connection wire? Will cutting the soundproof wall defeat the purpose of the green glue? Also, I'm not using in wall speakers, I will be using something like klipsch quintet III or mirage 5.1, which means the two front speakers and one center will be hanging on the shared wall. Is this also a bad idea? Or should I attached the surround speakers to my ceiling, that way it won't rumble too much on the shared wall, then disturb my neighbor.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It probably won't help much to use green glue unless you can also seal all the penetrations. Do you know what the shared wall is like? Sometimes, these are fire walls, which means they're nice and thick. Other times, they're not.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the response ctviggen. I dont really know if it is a fire wall or not but is has a metal bar running in a zig zag pattern from the top to bottom. So do you think, it's worth it taking down the old dry wall just to insulate it? Or would you consider this waste of money and time?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just finished inslutating and green-gluing a shared wall between my future theatre room and an extra bedroom. I used Roxul wool insulation (special order from Home Depot in about a week) and green glue between double layer drywall. I am absolutely impressed with both products, nearly no sound penetration even with loud music or kids screaming. I would go this route, it gives great results. If you have penetrations (junction boxes, speaker mounts, etc..) just order some vinyl damping sheets and wrap the boxes. It's a little more work tearing down drywall to insulate, but it will give you a chance to run wires and install j-boxes and supports for mounting brackets, etc...

Dave

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok guys, here is an update. I cut a hole on the shared wall, Itapped on the wall inside my dry wall. it sounds sold. Also, I realized that the stud used for my shared wall wasnt touching the inner wall. There is a space in between every studs used and the inner wall. So will this help with soundproofing if my speakers are screwed to the studs. do you think my neighbor will hear sound during rumbling?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasbie /forum/post/19605022

ok guys, here is an update. I cut a hole on the shared wall, Itapped on the wall inside my dry wall. it sounds sold. Also, I realized that the stud used for my shared wall wasnt touching the inner wall. There is a space in between every studs used and the inner wall. So will this help with soundproofing if my speakers are screwed to the studs. do you think my neighbor will hear sound during rumbling?

There's many ways these walls can be set up.

I have staggered studs with extra thick fire-safe wall with some sort of insulation on the back of the drywall. I can hear things through the wall from the neighbor's living room.

what I would do is hang one of the speakers and go next door and ask your neighbor if you can listen and see how much noise makes it through.

·
Registered
870 Posts
There was a similar thread in the Dedicated Theater Design & Construction where I posted this video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfleming /forum/post/19128872

Here is a Canadian television series featuring general contractor Mike Holmes treating a wall between two townhomes using QuietRock

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I don't think even two sheets of quietrock with green glue between them will do anything for my place. I hear everything my upstairs neighbor and his friends do. From their shoes shuffling around and being dropped when they come home, to cupboard doors closing, to every footstep, to every cup being placed on the kitchen counter, to every little grunt and moan when they're having sex...

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I think more pro installers and integrators, and soundproofing experts, spend more time in the Dedicated Home Theater Design and Construction subforum .

Input from people like Dennis Erskine and Ted White, 2 well-respected (IMO) experts.

I agree so far with everything said here - a lot depends on the fire wall.

I like the idea of hanging a speaker in the drywall, and trying it out, listening from the neighbor's place. Will let the neighbor know you're trying hard to keep your sound isolated.

Mike Holmes is not an expert, but I really enjoy that show! STC isn't a very good measurement for noise transmission. They used QuietRock, essentially identical acoustically to DD+GG. They had a large uninsulated penetration, behind the drywall, which they covered.

You can build back boxes for the speakers, with similar DD+GG or some other damping material (be wary of store-bought backboxes (Flexbox)). Even small penetrations will allow a lot of sound through.

Like you, Gasbie, I'm still learning; for acoustics, I learn the most from cruising the Dedicated HT subforum.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could some answer this question please. Does it make any sense to insulate a wall with r19, then double wall with green glue, then cut several holes in the wall for wire bundles and speaker wires. Does these holes defeat the soundproof purpose?

·
Registered
6,096 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello guys, am reopening the chapter because now that I have my green glue and sealant ready, my question is about the shared wall where my speakers will be mounted on. The shared wall is not insulated in any way or form. Am thinking of putting on my green glue wall on the non insulated wall. I know that there have been argument that the fiberglass does nothing to sound deadening. But does it worth taking down the old wall just to put a batt of insulation in it, the dd + gg. In other words, will it make a difference if I:

insulatate + dd + gg

or

leave as is (NO INSULATION) + DD + GG.

Also, since insulating an interior wall does not save energy, will stuffing the studs cavity with R19 help with sound deadening.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello guys, am reopening the chapter because now that I have my green glue and sealant ready, my question is about the shared wall where my speakers will be mounted on. The shared wall is not insulated in any way or form. Am thinking of putting on my green glue wall on the non insulated wall. I know that there have been argument that the fiberglass does nothing to sound deadening. But does it worth taking down the old wall just to put a batt of insulation in it, the dd + gg. In other words, will it make a difference if I:

insulatate + dd + gg

or

leave as is (NO INSULATION) + DD + GG.

Also, since insulating an interior wall does not save energy, will stuffing the studs cavity with R19 help with sound deadening.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts