AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've started to shop for insulation and don't know if I should go with Rolls or Batts. It seems like 1 roll covers approx. 49 sq.ft for about $10 or 21 cents/sq.ft. 1 bag of batts on the other hand cover 77sq.ft. for about $42, or 55 cents/sq.ft. Why wouldn't I just buy rolls? Sure, I'd have to cut it to length, but since my joists and walls are longer/taller than 8ft. anyway, there be some cutting of batts as well.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
If your wall are taller than 8', I'd go with the rolls. Ultimately there's less waste. MY walls were less then 8 feet so it made sense to me to use the rolls since I would have had to cut every one anyway. You would have to put up a full batt and then a fill piece in every stud bay, so you'll be doing a lot of cutting, too. I'd just go with the roll. Plus, I think they are easier to handle while transporting, etc.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
You pay about 50% more for batts. Your .21 cents vs .55 cents doesn't match what my pricing shows; are you sure you are comparing the same thickness?

It's just a question of time and labor. Percentage-wise it's a big increase, but for the typical theater it's probably less than $100 difference.

I think the ease of use and time savings are worth it, but YMMV. If saving money is top priority then I would go with the rolls.

Tim

Edit: One other thing with the batts.. I just picked up some R-19 and on the new JM batts they are pre-split so you can tear them lengthwise. Depending on how you tear you can get 3", 7", 8" 10" etc.. pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim  /t/1416354/insulation-batts-vs-rolls-am-i-missing-something#post_22145227

You pay about 50% more for batts. Your .21 cents vs .55 cents doesn't match what my pricing shows; are you sure you are comparing the same thickness?
I thought so:

This is 15"x32ft or 48.75 sq.ft for $9.98
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Insulation-Fiberglass/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbay7/R-202585902/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

This is 8x 15"x7.75' batts or 77.5sq.ft for $42.91
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Insulation-Fiberglass/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbay7/R-202585871/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#customer_reviews

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yeah this is a no-brainer. Just wear gloves and cut up the rolls.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
You pay for not having to cut the roll into batts yourself. Just cut them and save the cash, as others have said.

A tip for cutting the roll is to put a scrap piece of plywood under your cutting area, then use a wide level (or anything wide and flat) to push the roll down. This makes it a LOT easier to cut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts