AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best type of insulation for the proscenium and seating platform? I have recently started construction on my media room with is 15' x 19'. This is on the second story so I'm unable to use sand for the platform. For all of my walls I've insulated with the wet cellulose, but I'm not sure what would work best in the platforms. I've noticed that Lowe's and Home Depot both rent the cellulose blower for the DRY cellulose and thought that this might be better than using fiberglass bats. Does anyone have any experience with the dry cellulose are any thoughts on which is better?

My platform is constructed with 2x6's and 12o.c. The top will be three layers of plywood (3/4", 1/2", 3/4")

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think you should have used fiberglass batts everywhere instead of cellulose. Cellulouse insulation has a few drawbacks:

it burns more easily than fiberglass or rock wool

it tends to settle leaving gaps

it doesn't create as many small air pockets as fiberglass or rock wool so it probably will do less to limit sound transmission through the wall

If you can't use sand, then I suggest using fiberglass batts for the prosenium and risers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.