AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to drywall a large section this weekend, most of it along the outside foundation. Just want to make sure I do not make any mistakes that could be difficult to fix.

What I have done insulation wise is the dow foil backed poly board with taped seams and then sealed in the joist area with spray foam, the joist area was already spray foamed when the did the main floor. Just got done rolling paper backed r13 into the wall cavities. My concern is whether or not to remove the paper backing. I have read that having 2 vapor barriers is a bad thing just not sure if the paper backing is considered a vapor barrier.

So do I need to go through the itchy process of removing the backing? Or am I fine to leave it on and drywall over it?

This is a below grade basement wall and the basement is 100% dry.

Thanks.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,170 Posts
If you closely examine the paper I think you will find it has a thin plastic layer. I have a gut feeling that dual layers will be problematic in your cold region. I also recall an episode of This Old house where they just liberally slashed the paper with a sharp utility knife breaking the barrier before putting up the drywall.

If I were in your shoes I would call the local county building inspector's office. In my experience they give out advice without needing to know who you are or your address.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I agree you want to avoid a double vapor barrier, and I'm of the understanding you can do that by simply using an exacto knife or similar to cut through the paper barrier. I did that in a few places.

I also found a lot of conflicting advice when it comes to insulating techniques, so you may want to do a bit more research to satisfy yourself as to your options.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian /forum/post/19630123

I agree you want to avoid a double vapor barrier, and I'm of the understanding you can do that by simply using an exacto knife or similar to cut through the paper barrier. I did that in a few places.

I also found a lot of conflicting advice when it comes to insulating techniques, so you may want to do a bit more research to satisfy yourself as to your options.

Yes lots of conflicting info on this matter. On the smaller half walls on the walkout side I just removed the paper all together. I was just wanting to make sure it did not serve some function other than being a vapor barrier and keeping the insulation cohesive. I think I will just make a long slash right up the middle to keep it from being an effective vapor barrier.

thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts