AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

My AV installers ran into an interesting problem today. My TV (Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD) is located about 80' from my equipment rack. I have an Integra 8.8 receiver located in the rack which they first tried to connect to the flat panel with Key Digital HDMI Baluns (KD-HDMIXCATe and KD-CAT5XHDMI) connected using CAT-5E cable. HDMI from the balun to the plasma and from the receiver to the balun were Monster Cable M-650HD 4' cables. This setup failed to work at all, nothing, no picture or sound.

A search of the boards revealed others have had hit or miss luck with these baluns so we abandoned this and tried a long run HDMI cable. Initially we had some trouble but after changing the receiver to pass-through mode (at the suggestion of Integra Support) it works okay, sometimes. We can not get the Apple TV or the Blu-Ray Player (Insignia) to work. We can get the Comcast Cable box (1080i) and X-Box 360(1080p) to work. The DVD and Apple TV worked for a while but then stopped, making the problem especially troublesome. If the devices are connected directly to the TV with the HDMI long cable everything works okay, so something in the receiver is the problem.

So now right now I have 2 devices that work and two that dont. I dont mind the pass through mode because the tv can upscale the video just as well.

Does anyone have suggestions as to why 2 devices work and 2 dont? Thanks in advance for you time and assistance with this matter.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Long HDMI runs can be finicky, even when you do everything right. What gauge cable are you using? Did that cable have a built in equalizer? If not, you might want to try either adding an equalizer or a cable with a built in equalizer. Also, at that length, I'd be using a 22awg cable regardless. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts