AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of researching a HT upgrade project. I am going to continue with my current Panasonic 1080p panel & upgrade the rest.

I've landed on the Integra 9.9 (AVR or pre/pro TBD) & am looking for impressions from the forum about mating the 9.9 to a 'universal' player. 'Universal' to me means at least BD, std. DVD, SACD, std. CD & DVD-audio.

I'm currently considering the new Oppo HD player or just using a PS3 (for the added bonus of the occasional TW golf session). I'm trying to keep the absolute # of components to a min. b/c of space constraints, so a single disc player solution is attractive to me.

I've read great reviews on the Oppo, and am curious to know how much I would be giving up by using the PS3 via HDMI to the Integra for both audio & video.

For example, I've read that the PS3 outputs 'soft' std. def DVDs, but would the Integra upconversion processing cancel out any differences in a source player?

Similarly, are there any opinions about performance between the proposed source players on the audio side in regards to sending through a 'pure' audio signal for the Integra's DAC's to process?

Thanks in advance for the education!

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone311 /forum/post/16929726

I'm in the process of researching a HT upgrade project. I am going to continue with my current Panasonic 1080p panel & upgrade the rest.

I've landed on the Integra 9.9 (AVR or pre/pro TBD) & am looking for impressions from the forum about mating the 9.9 to a 'universal' player. 'Universal' to me means at least BD, std. DVD, SACD, std. CD & DVD-audio.

I'm currently considering the new Oppo HD player or just using a PS3 (for the added bonus of the occasional TW golf session). I'm trying to keep the absolute # of components to a min. b/c of space constraints, so a single disc player solution is attractive to me.

I've read great reviews on the Oppo, and am curious to know how much I would be giving up by using the PS3 via HDMI to the Integra for both audio & video.

For example, I've read that the PS3 outputs 'soft' std. def DVDs, but would the Integra upconversion processing cancel out any differences in a source player?

Similarly, are there any opinions about performance between the proposed source players on the audio side in regards to sending through a 'pure' audio signal for the Integra's DAC's to process?

One is no "purer" than the other. The PS3 will only send PCM via HDMI while the Oppo will send PCM or bitstream. However, unless you insist on using only the "pure direct" mode of the 9.9, there will be no differences and, even then, the differences are inconsequential. Besides, "pure direct" bypasses all the lovely DSP you are paying for in the 9.9.

Finally, the PS3 will not play DVD-A.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone311 /forum/post/16929726

I have both (and a receiver with some similarities to what you're looking at - Onkyo 876) and I would recommend the Oppo hands down over the PS3 for the following reasons:

1) The PS3 cannot output 480i to let the Integra do the deinterlacing and scaling - it can output 480p which will allow the Integra to do the scaling but not the deinterlacing. Having said that I say that Audioholics recorded an HQV score of 95/130 for the PS3 so that's not bad at all.

2) If you chose to let the PS3 handle the upconversion as well it will likely run hot whether it is a new or old model as this requires processing power. When upconverting standard dvd's my launch 60gb model can start to sound like a jet engine after a while - not at all ideal for a home theater environment.

3) No need to buy any additional components to integrate it into a system with a universal remote like you do with the PS3 (I would factor this into the cost decision).

4) No DVD-A support and SACD is limited to PCM output not DSD; the Oppo can do either one and the Integra will accept a DSD stream. FYI - new PS3 models do not support SACD so you will likely have to find a used machine.

5) You cannot bitstream HD audio with the PS3 it has to be internally decoded and sent as PCM to AVR; with the Oppo you have a choice. Of all these issues this should probably be at the bottom of your list as I don't believe that in practice it really makes a difference.

Having said that, the PS3 is a heck of a blu-ray player and does quite a good job acting the part of a media extender and providing internet access in the comfort of your home theater. However, if what you are after is top shelf Blu-Ray playback and DVD playback and you need SACD/DVD-A the Oppo is the way to go. Personally, I bought the PS3 primarily for Blu-Ray playback a couple of weeks after its launch as at the time I felt it was the best player out there; since then a lot has changed. In my opinion the Oppo represents a tremendous value particularly for those who leak to have a lot of flexibility with ther A/V products such as changing settings on the fly (i.e. without stopping the disc and going into the setup menu).

Anyway, I hope that helps and good luck with your decision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts