AVS Forum banner

4541 - 4560 of 4585 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Did your replacement board have the later Rev. D chip and not the Rev. B or C chip that had the issues or was it just a replacement board that was identical to the one that failed?
I didnt open it up and look

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Anyone get the HDMI board fixed in Canada and just curious where you sent it and cost -
Started to lose sound output - reboot has been fixing it but sounds like its failing board-
picking up new Marantz pre/pro - just going to see if worthwhile fixing and selling - thxs

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Made a change,

I recently purchased the New Marantz AV8805 Pre-Amp Processor.
My Integra is still functioning correctly but it's just simply outdated !!!

Terry

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Made a change,

I recently purchased the New Marantz AV8805 Pre-Amp Processor.
My Integra is still functioning correctly but it's just simply outdated !!!

Terry
Same - going with AV7705 - no need for the extra channels

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
My HDMI board died for a second time and it has been replaced by an AV8805

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Same - going with AV7705 - no need for the extra channels
Congrats on your new AV7705. :)

My HDMI board died for a second time and it has been replaced by an AV8805
I think a lot of us have or will be up-grading to the new Marantz AV8805.
I did consider the newer Integra Integra DRC-R1 but when looking into it further it just seems way to many owners are not all that pleased with it.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2585665-integra-drc-r1-owner-s-thread.html
And it came out back in 2016.
Plus another thing that bothered me personally was Integra no-longer has (Any) DVD players much less a new 4K DVD player.
When I saw the above on the Integra home page that made me very-very uneasy about going with another Pre-Amp Processor from them.

The more I checked into the new Marantz AV8805 I never saw even one (1) Bad Review !!!
It is a very up to date unit with all the whistles and bells.
I Do-Not actually have it yet but it has been ordered and it probably is at Wolf Hill Technologies already waiting to be installed.
Before that is going to take place I have to get all the drywall repaired and then two (2) coats of the Rosco Velvet Flat-Black paint done.
Still waiting for the paint to arrive from Rosco.

Terry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone get the HDMI board fixed in Canada and just curious where you sent it and cost -
Started to lose sound output - reboot has been fixing it but sounds like its failing board-
picking up new Marantz pre/pro - just going to see if worthwhile fixing and selling - thxs
I just had mine replaced under warranty at Microland in Markham, Ontario.

It was a bit of a gong show as I purchased mine in the US (saved around $1700 if I remember correctly). When the guy I was on the phone with found out it was a US unit in Canada, then they wanted me to send it to Chicago. I was not going to do that, so I found a repair centre that would get me the board to replace myself. I think it was around $300 for the board. Northstar Electronics was the place that would get the board.

They (Onkyo) ended up sending me a return box to both my US address and my Canadian address, so when I took it to Microland, they said all was good and I had it back in about a week.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I just had mine replaced under warranty at Microland in Markham, Ontario.

It was a bit of a gong show as I purchased mine in the US (saved around $1700 if I remember correctly). When the guy I was on the phone with found out it was a US unit in Canada, then they wanted me to send it to Chicago. I was not going to do that, so I found a repair centre that would get me the board to replace myself. I think it was around $300 for the board. Northstar Electronics was the place that would get the board.

They (Onkyo) ended up sending me a return box to both my US address and my Canadian address, so when I took it to Microland, they said all was good and I had it back in about a week.
cool - will look into that if feel like fixing - difficult job? - no handy man but I do build my own PC's -

·
Registered
2 Posts
cool - will look into that if feel like fixing - difficult job? - no handy man but I do build my own PC's -
Replacing the board would be no more difficult than changing a motherboard in a PC. Only thing you would have to be mindful of is the way the various cables and connectors get released.

Have you tried contacting Onkyo to see if yours is covered under their extended warranty for the HDMI board?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Integra DHC-80.3 auto select?!?

I've read through the manual but can't find where I can have the pre-pro automatically select the appropriate surround sound for a given source. I've chosen settings for the various HDMI sources but I have no idea if it is the right ones. I asked Onkyo support and was told to select Direct but the manual says that is without any surround effects. Anybody have any good suggestions?

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
U should double-check the text on pages 37/38 of the instruction manual.
Basically U 1st select Movie/TV or Music or Game or THX.. Note that when in THX U have different modes as well..
Assuming U have the source component be it a Satellite tuner, cable box, CD or DVD connected properly U can select the available surround modes.

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let's say I'm watching DirecTV. Most sources will be stereo but movies or concerts may be recorded in DTS or one of many flavors of Dolby or THX or whatever. How does the processor know which to use? How do I know which to use? I also have a Marantz SR5008 and it has a setting for auto mode selection. It picks the right method of decoding the source material.

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
Let's say I'm watching DirecTV. Most sources will be stereo but movies or concerts may be recorded in DTS or one of many flavors of Dolby or THX or whatever. How does the processor know which to use? How do I know which to use? I also have a Marantz SR5008 and it has a setting for auto mode selection. It picks the right method of decoding the source material.
Using your example...
If the Direct TV box is sending a stereo Dolby digital stream to the Integra, then the Integra's audio DSP will load Dolby Digital/Pro Logic 2 or (Dolby Digital/DTS Neural) software assuming when selecting a DVD that has DTS 5.1 then the Integra's audio DSP will automatically load the software to output 5.1. Basically within the audio DSP chip it will automatically identify the stream and then load the proper decoding software, in certain instances U may have another surround option.

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
685 Posts
My Integra DHC-80.3 is connected to my home network via an Ethernet cable (going to my home network router). On my Windows PC in a browser i enter the IP address of Integra DHC-80.3. I then go to the My Favorites tab and for slot one I enter:
Name: Google Play Music
URL: https://play.google.com/music/listen#/home

Then using Integra remote I select NET and then Favorites and sure enough Google Play Music is listed there on the Integra display and on my TV but when I hit Enter on the remote nothing happens? Should this work or not? I have a Chrome Cast plugged into the back of Integra so i guess i can resort to that if this doesn't work. Maybe Google Play Music is not "Internet Radio".

Here are instructions from manual:

Listening to Other Internet Radio
To listen to other internet radio stations, insert the
following step after step 1 in the “Listening to vTuner
Internet Radio” section.

1 On your computer, start your web browser and
enter the AV controller’s IP address in the
browser’s Internet address (URL) field.
The browser connects to the AV controller (WEB
Setup Menu).
Note
• The AV controller’s IP address is shown on “IP Address”
(➔ page 68).
• If you’re using DHCP, your router may not always allocate
the same IP address to the AV controller, so if you find that
you can’t connect to the AV controller, recheck the AV
controller’s IP address on the “Network” screen.
2 Click on the “My Favorites” tab.
3 Enter the preset name and Internet address
(URL).
4 Click “Save” to save the Internet radio station.
5 The Internet radio station is then added to “My
Favorites”.

thanks

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
If anyone would like to purchase my DHC-80.3 that has the HDMI issue but is otherwise perfect, please private message me. I checked with my local authorized service center and they gave me a price of $350 to replace the board.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Audio dropouts with Windows PC 2 ch music file playback (PCM) to 80.3 using HDMI

Hello,
I have a new 2019 Lenovo YOGA 730 2-in-1 laptop with Windows 10 (latest patch, March, 2019). The Windows 10 laptop has a PLEX server and the PLEX Media Player (PMP). All my 2 ch music files (FLAC, WAV, MP3) are on the laptop. PLEX Media Player transcodes the music file and then transmits stereo PCM over HDMI to the 80.3. I have set the 80.3 to output stereo as well. I am using the "PC" HDMI input on the back of the 80.3.

In general, i can listen to music for several hours without any audio dropouts. But every few hours there will be an audio dropout for about 1 or 2 seconds. The digital LCD display on front of 80.3 will flash and the "Stereo" will disappear for a second or two and then reappear. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of 2 ch music file (FLAC, WAV etc) and the resolution (fidelity) doesn't seem to matter either. If I use the PLEX app to rewind the music track back a few seconds to just before the dropout section, there is no dropout the second time I try. Again, a dropout will occur once every couple hours but it is annoying. The Blu-Ray player and the Roku devices connected to 80.3 also use HDMI cables and they do not experience any audio dropouts but they do not transmit PCM across their HDMI cable. I don't think it is Windows laptop getting busy with some other task. Driver for the laptop audio hardware is up to date. I will try swapping HDMI cables. The HDMI cable for PC is a nice, brand new 8 foot Rocketfish.

I found the below description of "Fixed Mode" in the 80.3 manual. Has anyone seen an improvement with audio dropouts after changing from Off to PCM?
thanks

Fixed Mode
􀁠Off:
The format is detected automatically. If no digital
input signal is present, the corresponding analog
input is used instead.
􀁠PCM:
Only 2-channel PCM format input signals will be
heard. If the input signal is not PCM, the PCM
indicator will flash and noise may also be produced.

􀁠DTS:
Only DTS (but not DTS-HD) format input signals
will be heard. If the input signal is not DTS, the DTS
indicator will flash and there will be no sound.

When “HDMI”, “COAXIAL” or “OPTICAL” is
selected in the “Audio Selector” setting, you can then
specify the signal type in “Fixed Mode”.
Normally, the AV controller detects the signal format
automatically. However, if you experience either of the
following issues when playing PCM or DTS material, you
can manually set the signal format to PCM or DTS.
• If the beginnings of tracks from a PCM source are cut
off, try setting the format to PCM.
• If noise is produced when fast forwarding or reversing a
DTS CD, try setting the format to DTS.
Note
• The setting is stored individually for each input selector.
• The setting will be reset to “Off” when you change the setting in
“Audio Selector”.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Well this week I moved my Integra DHC-60.5 from my old bakers rack to my 42U rack. After I did my front LCR stopped working so I moved around speaker wires and RCA connections from my Preamp but can't get sound to come from any of the front speakers. Now I have losed sound from my left surround speaker. I did reset the Preamp, but that didn't help. I even tried my Marantz 5 channel amp but it didn't work at all. I checked the fuses as well and they are all good.

I'm stumped. I would like to upgrade to a 4K Dolby Atmos receiver. Maybe this is a sign.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Well this week I moved my Integra DHC-60.5 from my old bakers rack to my 42U rack. After I did my front LCR stopped working so I moved around speaker wires and RCA connections from my Preamp but can't get sound to come from any of the front speakers. Now I have losed sound from my left surround speaker. I did reset the Preamp, but that didn't help. I even tried my Marantz 5 channel amp but it didn't work at all. I checked the fuses as well and they are all good.

I'm stumped. I would like to upgrade to a 4K Dolby Atmos receiver. Maybe this is a sign.

Can you diagram out or explain your wiring setup? Where exactly do all your speaker wires go to/from? Any pre-amps, DSP boxes, etc.? What kinda speaker wire connections at the receiver end and the speaker end?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Can you diagram out or explain your wiring setup? Where exactly do all your speaker wires go to/from? Any pre-amps, DSP boxes, etc.? What kinda speaker wire connections at the receiver end and the speaker end?
Ok, I am using 5 Marantz 700 Monoblocks to power each channel. So a RCA cables from preamp goes from the FR, FL, C, SR and SL into the inputs of the Monoblocks. I have 14 gauge speaker wire with connectors from the amps to the speakers. This is the same setup as I have always had. I turned off the power to everything then moved the equipment, plugged it in then powered it up. Kind of strange to me. I do know when I have tried to use the working on the front speakers it doesn't work either. So it has to be in the switching in the preamp.

4541 - 4560 of 4585 Posts