AVS Forum banner

4561 - 4580 of 4585 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
I only moved the equipment. I did have the front left working for a little bit, then when I tried to get the others I list it. Tomorrow I am going to see if I can get a surround to come out of one of the front speakers.

In a way I would like to a new receiver. My wife asked how much for what I want and I said a $1000 at least. I am thinking of getting the Marantz SR7012. I could do Atmos then.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have an Integra DHC-80.3, I have the original Integra RC-811M remote and have encountered an annoying issue. ALL the buttons work without any issue whatsoever, I just point in the general direction of the receiver and it does what I want it to, but the volume adjustment button (whether I go up or down) just doesn't want to cooperate, I could be trying to adjust the volume for like 15-20 seconds before it finally registers.

I mean I could take the remote right up to the receiver, push the volume buttons as firmly as I can, and no matter what, it'll still take a good 10 seconds to register, so it's like it works but doesn't. I'm assuming it's just the volume buttons themselves on the remote or does the signal emitted by the volume control use a different sensor and it's actually the sensor on the receiver that's having a problem, I don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there, I just want to figure this out, I really would rather not spend, $60-$70 for a new remote when the only thing wrong is the volume adjustment.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
I have an Integra DHC-80.3, I have the original Integra RC-811M remote and have encountered an annoying issue. ALL the buttons work without any issue whatsoever, I just point in the general direction of the receiver and it does what I want it to, but the volume adjustment button (whether I go up or down) just doesn't want to cooperate, I could be trying to adjust the volume for like 15-20 seconds before it finally registers.

I mean I could take the remote right up to the receiver, push the volume buttons as firmly as I can, and no matter what, it'll still take a good 10 seconds to register, so it's like it works but doesn't. I'm assuming it's just the volume buttons themselves on the remote or does the signal emitted by the volume control use a different sensor and it's actually the sensor on the receiver that's having a problem, I don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there, I just want to figure this out, I really would rather not spend, $60-$70 for a new remote when the only thing wrong is the volume adjustment.
I take it you have tried this by taking the batteries out and back in. Sometimes my Google Fiber remote stops working and I do that. How old is the remote? The volume buttons would get used a lot on a remote. Have you also tried to reset the Preamp? Not sure what else to do other then taking the remote apart and clean it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have an Integra DHC-80.3

I apologize if this shows up twice but....

I have both the DHC 80.3 and the older 9.9. Have only had the 80.3 for about 3-4 years and never had a problem On the 9,9 remote however I had the same problem regularly. I disassembled the remote to find that the part of the board that the volume button contacts when you press it was covered with "goo". I cleaned it and this fixed the problem but the goo continued to build up periodically and I could not find a source for it. It seemed to "create" the goop. A more knowledgeable person may be able to shed light on precisely why this was happening but I don't know the internals of electronics.

I probably had to repeat this every 5-6 months. Granted the remote got a lot of use but this just seems to be a poor design/choice of materials. I had the same thing happen to a late 90's era Yamaha remote.

The 80.3 is by outward appearance a completely different remote but with all of the other commands functioning properly it's a reasonable suspect. If you can open it up without damaging it you can determine if it's the same issue vs dealing with it or buying a replacement.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I take it you have tried this by taking the batteries out and back in. Sometimes my Google Fiber remote stops working and I do that. How old is the remote? The volume buttons would get used a lot on a remote. Have you also tried to reset the Preamp? Not sure what else to do other then taking the remote apart and clean it.
Tried new batteries thinking it was that but to no avail. It's around 4-5 years old so I may have to open it up and see if that's what it is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have an Integra DHC-80.3

I apologize if this shows up twice but....

I have both the DHC 80.3 and the older 9.9. Have only had the 80.3 for about 3-4 years and never had a problem On the 9,9 remote however I had the same problem regularly. I disassembled the remote to find that the part of the board that the volume button contacts when you press it was covered with "goo". I cleaned it and this fixed the problem but the goo continued to build up periodically and I could not find a source for it. It seemed to "create" the goop. A more knowledgeable person may be able to shed light on precisely why this was happening but I don't know the internals of electronics.

I probably had to repeat this every 5-6 months. Granted the remote got a lot of use but this just seems to be a poor design/choice of materials. I had the same thing happen to a late 90's era Yamaha remote.

The 80.3 is by outward appearance a completely different remote but with all of the other commands functioning properly it's a reasonable suspect. If you can open it up without damaging it you can determine if it's the same issue vs dealing with it or buying a replacement.

Hope this helps.
I'm going to try to clean it because I've read of other people with the same issue (albiet with different remotes) and ended up fixing it with that suggested solution. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm going to try to clean it because I've read of other people with the same issue (albiet with different remotes) and ended up fixing it with that suggested solution. Thanks for the help.
I am happy to say the issue is now resolved. And just as it has been said, it was only the volume buttons that had this gooey residue, cleaned it up and now it works perfectly now, so freakin happy.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am happy to say the issue is now resolved. And just as it has been said, it was only the volume buttons that had this gooey residue, cleaned it up and now it works perfectly now, so freakin happy.
If there's someone out there that can give us an explanation of how/why this occurs I am genuinely interested strictly from a point of understanding what material or electrical phenomenon causes it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If there's someone out there that can give us an explanation of how/why this occurs I am genuinely interested strictly from a point of understanding what material or electrical phenomenon causes it.
I'm the same way with wanting to understand stuff like this. With some searching around, I think I have found the explanation http://www.michaelshell.org/gadgetsandfixes/keypadsiliconeoil.html

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
I'm the same way with wanting to understand stuff like this. With some searching around, I think I have found the explanation http://www.michaelshell.org/gadgetsandfixes/keypadsiliconeoil.html
Could also the oils from our fingers mixed with the silicone buttons make the sticky mess? Like I said earlier, the volume buttons usually get used the most. They do in our house. Some TV shows are low volume like America's Got Talent. I have to turn that show up way higher then most shows. Then there are commercials that are to load for me. If I am live I mute them.

Glad you figured it out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Could also the oils from our fingers mixed with the silicone buttons make the sticky mess? Like I said earlier, the volume buttons usually get used the most. They do in our house. Some TV shows are low volume like America's Got Talent. I have to turn that show up way higher then most shows. Then there are commercials that are to load for me. If I am live I mute them.

Glad you figured it out.
I wouldn't be surprised if residue on fingers and/or natural oils secreted by the skin has a contributory effect.

You mentioned you have an issue with volume level consistency, now, I'm assuming you have something like a DHC-80.3 reciever, and I would ask if you have ever tried using the Dolby Volume option or Dynamic EQ with the EQ reference level offset set to 10dB?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if residue on fingers and/or natural oils secreted by the skin has a contributory effect.

You mentioned you have an issue with volume level consistency, now, I'm assuming you have something like a DHC-80.3 reciever, and I would ask if you have ever tried using the Dolby Volume option or Dynamic EQ with the EQ reference level offset set to 10dB?
I used to use a couple older Integra's, but they aren't working any more. I use a Yamaha RVX483 receiver in my living room and a Marantz 6013 in my theater. I haven't run the room calibration on either room, but it is mostly just the one show that it really low volume. I need to get my Harmony Remote programmed and use it to just use one, but not sure it would do Amazon Fire TV and Google Fiber. Those two don't always play well with others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
integra DTR 80.3 HDMI board

Have an Integra DTR 80.3 receiver whose HDMI board is going bad. Sometimes it takes 7 to 8 times cycling on and off for it to finally turn on so there is volume. I would like to try ti install a new board myself without sending it to Michigan to hopefully be repaired. It's going to cost almost $200 to ship it there and back and diagnose the issue. Everything else operates as it should. I've searched to find where I can buy a new HDMI board but no such luck. This AVR was very expensive when I bought it new and I understand that it's been a common problem with these (and many other) receivers. Integra won't repair it at no charge because it's well past its' warranty period. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have an Integra DTR 80.3 receiver whose HDMI board is going bad. Sometimes it takes 7 to 8 times cycling on and off for it to finally turn on so there is volume. I would like to try ti install a new board myself without sending it to Michigan to hopefully be repaired. It's going to cost almost $200 to ship it there and back and diagnose the issue. Everything else operates as it should. I've searched to find where I can buy a new HDMI board but no such luck. This AVR was very expensive when I bought it new and I understand that it's been a common problem with these (and many other) receivers. Integra won't repair it at no charge because it's well past its' warranty period. Any suggestions??
You're not alone. I have owned my Integra DHC-80.3 processor for four years. The HDMI and ethernet board in the unit has failed twice now. With this last episode, the HDMI board failed this last Nov. 2019 but the ethernet portion of the HDMI board failed last night, crippling it's ability to use the Integra remote app.

The unit had run exceptionally HOT and when the first HDMI board failed after two years of use, I purchased a three fan AC Infinity component cooler which dramatically dropped the processors overall operating temperature nearly 80 degrees. With the cooler, the unit's case never even got warm to the touch. However, two years after the original HDMI board was replaced, the second board has failed as well. At first, I simply used an external HDMI switch but as of last night, the ethernet section of the HDMI board failed, completely crippling the unit's networking features. I regularly used canned air with a vacuum to pull every speck of dislodged dust away from the unit. When I inspected the unit's interior this morning, it had far less dust build up than I expected.

At present, I am faced with having to keep replacing HDMI boards every two years for $400 a pop, as long as Integra has the part in inventory. There is also the very real possibility that replacement parts evaporate and the next board failure will turn the unit into a boat anchor! So, do I throw up my hands and drop several thousand bucks on a new processor with comparable performance and features or gamble that the replacement board lasts another two years before I'm forced to scrap the unit?

Integra deserves to get it's ass kicked over this debacle. No wonder so many former Integra dealers have ditched the brand! It's such a shame because the audio performance of Integra gear is so exemplary, but if customers cannot keep their investment running, it trashes the dealer's reputation as well.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
You're not alone. I have owned my Integra DHC-80.3 processor for four years. The HDMI and ethernet board in the unit has failed twice now. With this last episode, the HDMI board failed this last Nov. 2019 but the ethernet portion of the HDMI board failed last night, crippling it's ability to use the Integra remote app.

The unit had run exceptionally HOT and when the first HDMI board failed after two years of use, I purchased a three fan AC Infinity component cooler which dramatically dropped the processors overall operating temperature nearly 80 degrees. With the cooler, the unit's case never even got warm to the touch. However, two years after the original HDMI board was replaced, the second board has failed as well. At first, I simply used an external HDMI switch but as of last night, the ethernet section of the HDMI board failed, completely crippling the unit's networking features. I regularly used canned air with a vacuum to pull every speck of dislodged dust away from the unit. When I inspected the unit's interior this morning, it had far less dust build up than I expected.

At present, I am faced with having to keep replacing HDMI boards every two years for $400 a pop, as long as Integra has the part in inventory. There is also the very real possibility that replacement parts evaporate and the next board failure will turn the unit into a boat anchor! So, do I throw up my hands and drop several thousand bucks on a new processor with comparable performance and features or gamble that the replacement board lasts another two years before I'm forced to scrap the unit?

Integra deserves to get it's ass kicked over this debacle. No wonder so many former Integra dealers have ditched the brand! It's such a shame because the audio performance of Integra gear is so exemplary, but if customers cannot keep their investment running, it trashes the dealer's reputation as well.
Integra no longer has HDMI boards for the dhc-80.3. I moved onto the marantz 8805, but the 7705 will work for you too. There is a great reseller on here that has fantastic prices.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
I tried the 7703 and then switched to the Integra DHC-R1.1, I find that it sounds better than the 7703 and it has the same DACS the 8805 has for the front channels. I think their EQ does a nice job. I like it better than Audyssey. It's underrated.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I tried the 7703 and then switched to the Integra DHC-R1.1, I find that it sounds better than the 7703 and it has the same DACS the 8805 has for the front channels. I think their EQ does a nice job. I like it better than Audyssey. It's underrated.
That's why there are different options... I didn't like the sound of the dhc-r1.1. It didn't have multichannel inputs, streaming was less flexible and you couldn't upgrade to HDMI 2.1

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
That's why there are different options... I didn't like the sound of the dhc-r1.1. It didn't have multichannel inputs, streaming was less flexible and you couldn't upgrade to HDMI 2.1

Yup. I agree with anything sound related it has to do with users ears. I find that I hate the sound of Audyssey.

I do agree 110% that the Marantz units are all solid units. They just work. Very little if anything doesn't work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new here and have a question about my new-to-me DHC-80.3. I got it for free because it doesn't turn on. I had it plugged in last night and the relays on the power supply board will click at random points. At one point, the unit did turn on and stayed on for about 5 minutes before shutting off and reverting back to the intermittent relay clicking. Has anyone experienced this, or know of a solution to this? I downloaded the service and user manual to try and make some progess.

4561 - 4580 of 4585 Posts