Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there even a comparison?

What's the difference between Integra and Integra Research as companies. Is Onkyo the parent company of all?

Which pair is better and why??

·
Registered
64 Posts
I own the DTR9.1, and only have good things to say about it.

Onkyo is the parent company of them all.

In looking at the web site I can only see cosmetic differences in them, the RDA7 has 150W power vs 120W for the other and I think the warranty in the RDA RDC are 5 yr vs 3 with Integra.

THe Integra Research web site is a little low on info. I can say that when I have called to talk with them they have been very good to deal with, when I had the upgrade done.

THis probably wasn't much help, but if you are looking to buy, I went through the same questions, either get the DTR9.1 or go the RDA and RDC7 route.

I took the DTR9.1 it has the power I need for now, and later I can hook an amp to it.

Tony

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just curious and I'm not looking to buy.

However, I believe the RDA7 is 200x7. As well, I don't think the Integra pieces are of the same high end caliber that the Integra Research stuff is. I guess we really don't know until they hit the market.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The differences between both are dramatic.

The Integra Research product is a collaboration between Apogee, Balanced Audio Technology, Lucasfilm THX, and Integra.

One difference for example is the Amp used in the new DTC series is using class D amplification and is far lighter than the one from Integra Research.

Anthony
www.definitive-sound.com

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hmmm interesting as I took a look at Integra's website.

I could have sworn that when I was at CEDIA and saw the new separates the 7 channel amp also had THX Ultra 2 certification. Yet the description on the web says no.

I'll have to find out why...

Anthony
www.definitive-sound.com

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many series does this company need? You don't see Toyota followed by Lexus followed by Lexus Research.

Isn't Integra Research based in Canada. I know Integra Research is quality high end gear. That RDA7 is probably one of the top five 7 channel AMPS in the business right now not to mention one of the most expensive.

When is Integra Research going to redesign these pieces? The RDA and RDC 7 have been around for several years now. I guess this is really a tribute to how future proof these products have maintained since their inception. Albeit, the PREAMP has been upgraded to THX ULTRA2 and DPLII along with better bass management. These are still top flight in todays HT world. Kudos to Integra Research.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The new pieces from Integra are designed to compete against models such as Anthem. Alot of home theater magazines referred to the Integra Research line being the Lexus lineup for Integra.

Integra Research is based in Japan.

I haven't received our price sheets on the new Integra separates pieces because Integra is also releasing new receivers (DTR 5.4, DTR 6.4) and replacements very likely for the DTR 7.3 and 8.3 in the fall.

Integra Research for all 3 pieces is about $20,000 CDN. The new separates for Integra will be less than $7000 CDN (?????) for 2 pieces!

We had some engineers from Integra Research visit us last summer. They wanted some feedback regarding the product and changes we wanted to see implemented. Things such as HDMI switching and DVD cataloging systems similar to Escient's Powerplay were brought up with them.

Anthony
www.definitive-sound.com

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
MStanic,

The Integra and Integra Research are in totally different catagories, with the Integra being the middle range and Integra Research being the premium high-end. Integra Research is to Onkyo what Lexus is to Toyota, the two have the same parent company, but other than that they are totally different products. When Integra Research was formed, they set out to offer products with the utmost in performance, features, and uprgadability.

SV

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't vouch for the new Integra pieces, but I would place my Anthem AVM20 in direct competition with the Integra Research RDC7. After that, I believe it's just a coin toss, actually a matter of personal preference, as to which one is better. There's no doubt that the two are very, very good indeed.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The RDA-7 amp is a BAT amp.

I've owned the RDC-7 preamp since January 2002 and have been very pleased with its performance. It sounds great and so far it has been very reliable. IR has upgraded the RDC-7 twice and it seems that IR will upgrade it again this year - firewire.

I don't know if the DTC-7 is upgradeable or not. Its MSRP is $2000 so I guess that the street price for it will be ~$1600 so maybe Integra intended it to compete with the Rotel 1066 preamp or the Outlaw 950 clones.

From what I've read, the Anthem AVM20 and the RDC-7 are in the same league. Perfect Vision ranks the RDC-7 a little higher than the Anthem. DVDETC also reviewed both units but I haven't read the review for the Anthem yet to see which they liked more.

Razvan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.