AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

for x-mas, I recieved a nice little surround package (the DTR-6.9, B&W MT-30 (just 5 speakers and 1 sub), and an inexpensive Sony Blue-ray palyer) and I thought - GREAT, just one HDMI inteconnect between my 2 units - settign this thing up is gonna be a BREEZE!!! Apparently, I thought wrong. These menu options are making my head spin.

I have video and audio playing just fine, but I just can't tell if I am geting the best audio option to play on my Integra when I am watching Blue Ray.

when I am watching regular DVDs and tv, the Integra acknowledges dolby digital, so i know I am good. But, when I put my Blu-ray in, i don't get dolby digital, or dts to light up on the integra. I read somewhere on-line last week that that when the integra listening mode reads "multichannel", it actually means that the reciever is outputing "dolby true HD", can anyone confirm this??

If this is the case, then I guess i want to watch blueray movies in the "multichannel" listening mode to get the best sound possible for my 5.1 speaker set-up right?

-Rob

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
What model is your Sony BluRay player? Either way, it sounds like you have your BluRay player set to decode audio advanced audio (TrueHD and DTS-MA... "multichannel" indicates the receiver is getting a decoded LPCM signal). The problem I see is that, if your BluRay is the S350, it does not have an internal DTS-MA decoder. You need to set the BluRay player to Bitstream for all audio types, this way your receiver will do the decoding for ALL audio codecs including TrueHD and DTS-MA. Then you should also see TrueHD and DTS-MA light up as the audio signal type.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/15552042

What model is your Sony BluRay player? Either way, it sounds like you have your BluRay player set to decode audio advanced audio (TrueHD and DTS-MA... "multichannel" indicates the receiver is getting a decoded LPCM signal). The problem I see is that, if your BluRay is the S350, it does not have an internal DTS-MA decoder. You need to set the BluRay player to Bitstream for all audio types, this way your receiver will do the decoding for ALL audio codecs including TrueHD and DTS-MA. Then you should also see TrueHD and DTS-MA light up as the audio signal type.

yes, I do have the Sony BDP-S350. I will DEFINALTEY try this when I get home tonight, but I don't remember bitstream being an option to send via the HDMI cable to the reciver...but I'll try again when I get home...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/15552340

Taking a look at the S350 menu, it looks like "Direct" is the setting you need to chose... you likely have "PCM" currently chosen.

Thanks a LOT Stephen, You were right about the Sony setting, I changed it and my reciver now shows DTS-HD when my Hortan Hears a Hoot BD disc is in...very cool. I'll have to try a Dolby true hd tonight.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
For future reference, your Integra is the same as the Onkyo SR706. If you ever have questions regarding the receiver, there will likely be much more written about the Onkyo version since it is mainly sold through consumer channels, where the Integra line is mainly sold through boutiques and custom installers. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I have a Integra 9.8, and was curious if my S350 would work with it.

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts