AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have an Onkyo Integra DTR 7.9 and I like it alot and it seems to do what ever is asked.Now I have a chance to get a Denon AVR 5803 for $600.Would it be worth selling mine and getting the Denon or just keep mine and call it good.Thanks Ron

·
Premium Member
4,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan122345 /forum/post/21550034

So I currently have an Onkyo Integra DTR 7.9 and I like it alot and it seems to do what ever is asked.Now I have a chance to get a Denon AVR 5803 for $600.Would it be worth selling mine and getting the Denon or just keep mine and call it good.Thanks Ron

I owned the 5803 and it was a flagship for its time (early 2000's). Unfortunately, unless you're a diehard analog audio fanatic, it would be a downgrade for you in 2012.

You'd be better off saving that money and getting a more modern unit with built-in room correction software and HDMI inputs. But unless you really only want a unit with 7.1 capabliity, have no need for wireless/networking or Airplay of supported iPods/iPad, no need for HD video processing from the AVR, and are willing to live with digital/optical inputs from a DVD or Blu-Ray player (or have a Blu-Ray with analog audio output), it's not worth it. You'd be better off with a mid-line Denon, Onkyo or Pioneer close to that price, if not a higher end unit once you get your feet wet with Audyssey or MCACC. The remote is also a relic by today's standards.

You'd also be giving up the HDMI inputs and Blu-Ray decoding, as well as the rudimentary Audyssey MultiEQ you have in the current Integra.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow well that was the perfect answer on that one.I didnt realize that it didnt have HDMI or blu ray capabilities.I do believe you are right.I just have always read what a great receiver that this Denon was.Again I do like my current Integra DTR 7,9 just thought at the price it would be a decent deal to get the Denon.But not if I am really downgrading except for power.Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts