AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
At the $900 price, what is the OTA performance claim or other unique features that make the Integra IT910S desirable?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
842 Posts
I too have one on order. I already have the older unit

with the unitymotion label on it.

It picks up the digital PBS feeds both standard and hi-def

on GE3 (ku band)

It picks up the abc digital feeds on T4 (i think)

C band

It picks up the UPN mpeg2 feeds on T5 (c band)

It picks up any of the standard 18 atsc feeds

C or Ku band

I'm pretty sure it picks up the fox 4:2:0 feed.

It picks up any of the DVB signals (panamsat...)

C or Ku band (this the 815 did very poorly at best)

It picks up the direct-tv/dish high-def feeds only

while they are still in the clear. Once they go scrambled

this unit will not receive them.

(requires CP minidish)

It has an OTA 8 vsb nim for picking up standard

over the air signals (requires vhf/uhf antenna)

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Kevin,

Being a DBS type of guy, can you tell me what I would need besides a BUD with C & Ku feeds to make this run. Do I need another no digital receiver or could I operate everything from the integra?

Tim

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The UM/Integra lack a positioner. If you desire access to multiple birds, a standalone positioner or IRD/receiver (which contains a positioner) would be required. These can be obtained relatively inexpensively.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkerdman:

At the $900 price, what is the OTA performance claim or other unique features that make the Integra IT910S desirable?

[/b]
My understanding is that the 910S has a newer chip that allows the receiver to pick up SDTV MPEG satellite signals that the original Unity Motion receiver was unable to decipher. I'm not sure about any enhancements it may have for OTA...

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Rick

"the 910S has a newer chip that allows the receiver to pick up SDTV MPEG satellite signals"

Whose signals? C Band? KU Band? DirecTV? Dish?

What programming is avaliable with the Integra IT910S?

I didn't see any 1394 connector, so Digital recording is not a feature of the Integra IT910S. Correct?

Murray Kerdman

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
ManE,

Not to be lazy, but can you give me a quick pointer or a few more terms for a search engine to lock on. For your average DBS-type am I wasting my time. The feeds above do sound interesting particularly since we don't have PBS HD here.

Tim

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The 4DTV Forum has a wealth of information. If you are seeking used gear, there is some there, e-bay (be careful as always), or search for "c band", "satellite receiver", etc. Ku band capability is important for reception of feeds like PBS. It can be done with a small (1M) dish or larger. As with all satellite communications, bigger is better. Hybrid C and Ku equipment is readily available.

I forgot to mention the Unity Motion Forum as a resource for detailed information (duh! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

[This message has been edited by Man E (edited 05-20-2001).]

·
Registered
36 Posts
i have a regular 3 ft ku band dish and a ku band lnbf. i get a good enough signal to receive the pbs channels, otherwise a larger dish would be necessary to receive channels for the ge3 satellite.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by solrackm:
i have a regular 3 ft ku band dish and a ku band lnbf. i get a good enough signal to receive the pbs channels, otherwise a larger dish would be necessary to receive channels for the ge3 satellite.
But solrackm, the PBS channels are on the GE3 satellite.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

·
Registered
36 Posts
i did mention that the pbs channels are on ge3 on my last post. by the way,i received the integra 910 yesterday. i only had a half hour to play with it. so far so good but with some minor quibbles,hopefully by the end of the weekend i can give you a pretty good review.

·
Registered
36 Posts
due to the holiday weekend i only had a few hours here and there to play with it. so here is a small review,

1)ota performance- tuner strength is very fussy. i compared it with the dtc-100 and the samsung sirt-150. in the immediate d.c.area the 910 signal strengh is lower by 10 to 20 digits compared with the 100 and about the same with the 150,in baltimore the strentgh is 5 to 10 digits lower than the 100 but sometimes it is higher, also higher than the 150. here is the weird part,when picking up long distant digital stations the 910 is very senstive. on monday night i picked up wgal 58-1 in harrisburg pa which i believe is about 150 miles away, the signal meter showed 60 while the dtc 100 could not even detect a signal. the 150 locked in on two bars.the same thing happened picking up one philly station but the 100 did detect the signal but it kept dropping in and out,while the 150 locked on one bar.

the ntsc tuner part is good,channel changing is normal like a regular tv,also with the digital channels.

2)guide info- the 910 can receive guide info,loads pretty quick,not that great looking graphically wise,but works.

3)formats- can do 1080,720,480p and 480i.this can be done on the remote control. i had problems on two baltimore channels fox 45-1 and abc 52-2, it had a hard time handling the 1080 format,there were lines on the screen and it kept blacking out every five seconds,on the other formats it was fine.

4)picture quality- hd reception looks great just like the 815st.better than the dtc 100,and slightly better than the 150.

5)satellite reception- did not have a chance review it due to rainy conditions.hopefully this weekend i can play with this section of the receiver.

overall i like this receiver so far, even with the little quirks.

i have one question to anyone that can answer this,is it possible that 910 tuner is so sensitive that it overkills the local signals which causes the signal strengh to be lower than the dtc 100? for example when i go to the meter menu i can enter the channels manually while the meter is present,when changing the signal goes up to the 90s then goes back down to 75 while the dtc 100 stays in the upper 80s to 90.

the equipment i'm using is the 4248 antenna,9521 rotor and the 7775 channel master pre amp.

if anyone can answer this i greatly appreciate it.

that is it for now until the satellite review.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by solrackm:
3)formats- can do 1080,720,480p and 480i.this can be done on the remote control. i had problems on two baltimore channels fox 45-1 and abc 52-2, it had a hard time handling the 1080 format,there were lines on the screen and it kept blacking out every five seconds,on the other formats it was fine.
Someone on the Delphi Unity Motion Forum reported having problems with ABC's C-band 720p signal when converted to 1080i. It's possible that there is some generic problem with format conversion. I'm very interested in getting this receiver myself as a replacement for my Unity Motion HDR-1000A (because of its new DVB satellite capability, and the switchable output format), but I haven't yet been able to convince myself that it works well enough.

I'm especially interested to hear your report of its performance on satellite reception.

Quote:

i have one question to anyone that can answer this,is it possible that 910 tuner is so sensitive that it overkills the local signals which causes the signal strengh to be lower than the dtc 100? for example when i go to the meter menu i can enter the channels manually while the meter is present,when changing the signal goes up to the 90s then goes back down to 75 while the dtc 100 stays in the upper 80s to 90.
I don't know the answer to this, but I think there's some reason to doubt that the signal-strength numbers are comparable between receivers. On a given receiver, a higher number is (usually) preferable to a lower one, but I don't believe you can say with certainty that 80 on the DTC-100 versus 70 on the Integra means that the DTC-100 is receiving the signal more strongly. More significant is your observation that the Integra does a better job than the DTC-100 at locking distant signals; that's the capability that matters in an OTA receiver.

------------------

Ron Gomes

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.