AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke with an Onkyo/Integra customer service representative regarding my Integra DTR 7.1 receiver. My question was what the effect is of setting the "speaker configuration" for front left & right to small or large, as compared to setting the "listening mode setting" for the stereo mode to "subwoofer ON". The rep told me that:

1) with speakers set to LARGE, but subwoofer ON, the receiver will send below 80Hz to the subwoofer, and

2) with speakers set to SMALL, and subwoofer ON, the receiver will send below 120Hz to the subwoofer.

Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Doesn't sound right to me. LARGE w/ SW means only the LFE goes to the SW. SMALL w/ SW means < 80 Hz goes to SW. Onkyo/Integra has up until this year used a fixed 80 Hz crossover.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
As I understand it, a fixed 80hz crossover is a requirement for THX certification, which several of the Onkyo receivers have. On my 898, the manual supports Craig's interpretation. There's no mention anywhere of a setting that would give a 120hz crossover.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig F
... LARGE w/ SW means only the LFE goes to the SW. SMALL w/ SW means
The question I asked the customer service person was regarding stereo. Since there is no LFE in stereo signals, I assumed the setting of SW ON would have no effect, but then I didn't understand why there was the choice in the first place. Setting the speakers to SMALL should do as you would expect - send

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think that in stereo mode with speakers set to large it takes 80Hz and under and copies that information to the sub(rather than cutting it from the mains). With speakers set to small and having a sub, it does 120Hz and under for the sub. Could be wrong though...

·
Registered
413 Posts
dsegelstein,

I haven't tried stereo options. I listen to CDs with DPL II which uses the Bass Management. I'll take a look if I get a chance. Does the Strereo menu have small/large -and- SW setting or just SW? If it's just SW, I would assume it just allows you to select whether to use the SW independently for stereo sources.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Reznor007
The large/small setting is under the hardware setup section.

Each input has a setting for sub on/off.
Small correction: The large/small setting is under speaker configuration.

I'll try calling Onkyo/Integra again. Maybe this is like the DirecTV phenomenon where your answer depends randomly on which "tech" you get on your call.

Any hard information would be great, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.