Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am in the process of getting a home theater set-up. I decided on the Pioneer Elite/PRO630HD, but I am not sure what receiver and DVD to get. I narrowed my choices down to 2 brands so far, but wondered what some opinions were.

Denon:

Receiver - AVR2802 (or 3 if it comes out) 0r 3803

DVD - DVD 900

Is there a huge leap from the 2802 to the 3803?

Integra:

Receiver 6.3

DVD 5.3 or 7.3? Can't decide, not sure what the real difference is...

Any thoughts or opinions, or other choices that are similar price that I am not thinking of? I don't know much about all this, just have been reading this forum for a few weeks, and reading up on the web.

Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm in a similar boat but looking at the $500ish dollar recievers, Integra 5.3, Denon 1803, marantz, H/K etc.

I'm having a little trouble discerning the differences between the onkyo and integra lines. They seem to be much more blurred than in the past which makes me wonder why spend the extra scratch.

The only thing I can help you with is consider the Denon 1803. It appears to be almost the same receiver (if not a step up in some ways) as last years 2802. And I've heard the 2803 won't be around for quite a while.

I'm also curious who you've ruled out thus far and why?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I'll have to compare the 1803 to the 2803. I did hear that beginning of next year was the 2803 but who know.

I have not ruled out much, more ruled in. I like the integra's because they have many types of input, component switching, and i read some posts hear from some dealers that really liked them. I felt though they were dealers, they were fairly unbiased, and made similar decisions to a dealer here. And a neigbor has one, and it sounde really nice :) I like the denon since they are supposed to go well with the speakers I am thinking of getting.

The thing I am concerned with is how it will match with a set of klipsch speakers. I hear klipsch are bright, so I need a warmer receiver (denon), so not sure what to do.

I was also looking at a yamaha, since it has a somewhat simpler UI than the denon, but not by much. And, I found some very good prices online for all these components *except* the integra, so there is some price control by the dealers there. It always feels like collusion when you have to call teh dealers, and can't find things online ;-)

L8r!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by canubial
I like the integra's because they have many types of input, component switching

L8r!
If you're concerned about your video quality I'd be careful about using the switchers in any of the receivers. I've not found one yet that didn't degrade the video.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Aslan,

Have you seen the newer Onkyos and Integras perform video switching? They have 60mHz bandwidth which should be plenty to switch progressive DVD and even 1080i without any artifacts.

And I think you can always bypass video switching by simply not using it. Assuming your TV has enough of the appropriate inputs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.