AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone actually seen this: it looks intriguing -- but expensive...

Integra Enters High-end Plasma Display Market

Big plasma displays are among the home theater industry's most desirable and expensive products. Only a handful of companies have ventured into the market for truly big plasma screens.

Integra has joined the select group with its first video package, a 50"-diagonal HDTV-capable plasma display, the PLA-50V1, combined with a Faroudja FPV-1 video processor. The combined system, which debuted at CEDIA 2001, carries a suggested retail price of $23,000.

Slightly over 4" deep, the 16:9 display is light enough to hang on a wall, has resolution fine enough (1 megapixel, or 1,326 x 768 pixels) to render readable text from computer data. A combination of capsulated color filters, embedded in each square pixel, and a mask matrix of black stripes reduces reflections and enhances sharpness and black levels. Multitasking is possible with the PLA-50V1: users can leverage the display's picture-in-picture or picture-out-of-picture features to view two different sources simultaneously, such as email and a TV broadcast. A 16-step digital zoom enables the magnification of important picture details up to 9X. The Integra PLA-50V1 is said to be the first advanced monitor with these features.

The display has inputs of every type, and is capable of all computer graphic formats and all analog and digital video formats, including NTSC, PAL, SECAM, RGB, DVD, DTV and HDTV formats. Windows PCs and Macintosh computers, as well as digital equipment with the DVI interface, all connect seamlessly to the PLA-50V1. An RS-232 port allows control via computer. The display has also been optimized for movie use. "Processing circuitry within the display converts all interlaced input signals to progressive scan and performs inverse 3:2 pulldown for optimum smoothness from filmed originals," states the Integra press release.

The Faroudja Laboratories FPV-1, bundled with the PLA-50V1, performs "additional processing to further optimize the displayed image. The FPV-1 scales video signals to a precise, pixel-to-pixel match for the PLA-50V1display. In addition, it uses Faroudja's patented Diagonal Correlation Deinterlacing to prevent jagged-edged motion artifacts and edit-detection circuitry with 3:2 pull-down to provide the smoothest possible images from film-based video sources. Faroudja's patented Cross-Color suppression and 20-bit adaptive digital comb filtering enhance color purity and image detail," according to Integra. Like the display itself, the FPV-1 has inputs for HD/computer, component, S-Video and composite. IT also has a selectable RGB/component video output and front-panel controls for brightness, color, contrast, tint, and aspect ratio, with four presets. More information is available at the Integra website or by calling 800 225-1946.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Hey,

Read the text, it does not say Faroudja scaling, just deinterlacing (i.e., integrated FLI2200).

I posted preliminary press release from Onkyo (Integra is a daughter company of Onkyo) about new plasmas.

Yamaha will be releasing its plasma soon, as well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ofer:

I did read the text and actually it says it does scale:

"The FPV-1 scales video signals to a precise, pixel-to-pixel match for the PLA-50V1display. "

and since the box is stated to be manufactured by F, the question remains...

Erehm:

I do not know which company is OEM the glass/panel for them.

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
This is very interesting. I was told the native rate of this panel is 1365x768 but, that is a rate Faroudja does not make or offer. I will look into this further and post back. They also said that the FPV-1 is not being sold seperately and only as a bundled package with the plasma.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Specs from their website:

Screen Size 43.5(H)x24.5(V) inches - Diagonal 50 in

Aspect Ratio 16:9

Resolution 1365(H) x 768(V) pixels

Pixel Pitch 0.032(H) x 0.032(V) inches

Color Reproduction 256 levels, 16,770,000 colors

Signals

Synchronization Range H: 15.5 to 93.8kHz(auto:step scan), V: 50.0 to 120 Hz(auto:step scan)

Input Signals RGB/NTSC(3.58/4/43)/HD/DVD*/DTV*

Input terminals

RGB

Visual 1 (Analog) mini D-sub 15-pin x 1

Visual 2 (Analog) BNC (R,G,B,H/CS,V) x 1

Visual 3 (Digital) DVI-I 29-pin x 1** (not compatible with analog input)

Video

Visual 1 RCA-pin x 1

Visual 2 BNC x 1

Visual 3 S2-Video: DIN 4-pin x 1

HD/DVD/DTV

Visual RCA-pin (Y,Pb(Cb), Pr (Cr)) x 1

Audio Stereo RCA x 3 (Selectable)

External Control D-sub 9-pin x 1 (RS-232C)

Output Terminals

Speaker 7 W + 7 W (6 ohm)

Current Rating A: 5.9 A (max)

Power Sources A: AC120V 50/60 Hz

Power Consumption 595W (typical)

Dimensions 48.8(W)x30.2(H)x4.2(D) inches

Weight 101.4 lbs.

But note the PR has a 1326x768 number.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mopgcw
Has anyone actually seen this: it looks intriguing -- but expensive...

Integra Enters High-end Plasma Display Market

50"-diagonal HDTV-capable plasma display, the PLA-50V1, combined with a Faroudja FPV-1 video processor. The combined system, which debuted at CEDIA 2001, carries a suggested retail price of $23,000.

I saw this system yesterday -- playing DVD material and Cable (no HD) it looked very good... however no better than the Pio 503cmx - though the frame was sharper looking.

As far as I could tell the FPV-1 is the same as Faroudja NR -- there were no apparent differences whatsoever to the one I have at home.

My impression was that this was just a marketing - bundled offered between the 2 companies

Michael

·
Registered
110 Posts
This is an intriguing display: it's not just an NEC panel with a Faroudja NR. It's more. For example, it has:
  • 1365 x 768 native rate
  • Two component (RGB or YPrPb) inputs
  • One DVI TMDS input (no HDCP support)
  • 3 composite inputs
  • 3 stereo audio inputs; 1 stereo audio output
  • Displays two video inputs side-by-side or PIP! (Nice for those A/V processors/receivers that can't do the OSD on component inputs.)

The question I have (repeating an earlier post) is what NEC plasma screen are they using? If it's "last year's model", I'm significantly less interested....

Does anyone know? (I've got a call into Integra now....but they're taking their time getting back to me.)

/eric

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
erehm, maybe I'm missing something, but the specifications you mentioned are all in the NEC 50MP1 specifications: see this page:

http://www.nectech.com/presentationproducts/index.htm

It sure looks like an MP1 bundled with an NR. Integra may do more to the unit, but the specs are the same AFAIK. The NECs offer that split screen feature. Let me know if I've missed something here.

Cheers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks! I guess that answers my question. So, Onkyo/Integra haven't done anything special here that I couldn't purchase off-the-shelf.

Does anyone have any comments on the NEC 50MP1 vs. the other current "hot ticket" 50" plasma screens (Panasonic, Pioneer 503CMX/Pro1000HD, Fujitsu PDS-5002)?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.