AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this pre-pro isn't new, but I have read some very positive reviews about it. I am seriously considering purchasing this unit, but need some input from you fellow AVS forum members. First off, what do you all think of this pre-pro? Is it as good as it seems to be?

Some of the things I really like about this unit are the DAC's used(Burr Brown PCM 1704s and Analog Devices 1853s DAC's). The front left and right channels each use a pair of Burr Brown PCM 1704s in a dual differential configuration, with the Analog devices AD 1853s operating on the rest of the RDC-7 channels. The dynamic range and S/N ratio of the AD1853 is 120db. The Burr Brown PCM 1704 also boast a S/N of 120db. The DAC's for all channels offer 24 bit/192 khz resolution. The RDC-7 utilizes an Apogee master clock system for clocking digital signals and eliminating jitter built into the DAC's.

Another very welcome addition(at least for me) is the inclusion of an AC-3 RF input, for use with laserdisc players. Overall build quality seems quite solid. I'm not saying that I'm definitely going for this pre-pro, but I'm really thinking about it. Any feedback will be most helpful, as I need to make a decision very soon.

SV :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
The RDA-7/RDC-7 are the best values for the money in the audio/video industry right now!

They look great, sound great, and have alot of awards to back them up!

Anthony

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Has anyone actually had the chance to directly compare the Integra to the new Krell Showcase ? The Integra has a little more competition right now than it did when it was introduced.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
One issue with the RDC-7 that may have been solved by now, I'm not sure, was poor bass management options.

It had the least flexible bass management of anything on the market, i.e. 80Hz only.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BruceD,

That issue has indeed been addressed, as the new (upgrade 2) units now being shipped have new hardware and software, and inlcude crossover adjustments of 40/60/80/100/120 hz. Other bass management options also include separate adjustments for Dolby Digital, DTS, and MPEG, with memory setings for each.

Other (UPG-2) additions include:

THX Ultra 2 certification

DTS-ES Discrete/Matrix decoding

Dolby Pro Logic II

IEEE 1394 (Firewire) port

Higher Bandwidth component inputs/outputs

Carl Brinkman,

Yes, there has been a comparison with the Krell Showcase in the Jan/Feb issue of DVD ETC magazine. The reviewer stated that "both units are excellent, but have different personalities". Here's a link to the review:

Click on the DVD ETC Top Choice review on the lower left side of the page.

http://integraresearch.com/products.cfm?id=1

SV

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If you're interested in the RDC-7, check out the TagMcLaren AV32R-bp192 too. They were both released at around the same time, had similar prices(in fact the Tag was cheaper when I bought mine) and were each other's primary competitors.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I JUST put one in my theater(doesnt have latest upgrade with extensive bass management), and i have to say it is very, very good. Dont have time to go into any detail, but it beautifully built (in fact i have not seen any pre/pro, built to this level of quality, and i have owned several very good units, incuding the THETA CASANOVA, and the THETA CASABLANCA 11, ARAGON SOUNDSTAGE,(balanced version from last year)and a SUNFIRE 11).

Sound wise, it is very clean, with excelent resolution, rock solid bass, and over all a very musical presentation. So far, nothing yet to complain about.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A/V Sync delay adjustment

As I was looking through the online owners manual I noticed that the RDC-7 has an A/V sync delay adjustment. This feature is very useful at times when the audio and video signals are out of sync(the result is where the sound and picture do not match and the sound is heard too early), and is a very useful feature to have when needed. And this feature can be used for any input as needed(except for sources using the multi-channel port,like DVD-A/SACD).

I can't wait to start using this controller, as it has so many features that I want to try out. I hope it comes in Monday.:D

SV

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got my RDC-7 a couple of days ago, and I must say this is one fine piece of equipment. The first thing I noticed when I unpacked it is how elegant it is(pictures just don't do it justice), with a fit and finish that's first rate, every attention to detail is there.

The sound that this controller produces is simply amazing. Listening to CD's was a real treat, with detail and a sense of air to the music that I just haven't experienced before. I started diging out my favorite CD's and when I listened to them I got totally lost in the music. The sound was very detailed and dynamic, and never fatiguing. I've only been using it for two days and it's sounds awesome, so I can only imagine what it's going to sound like once it's had a chance to break in.

Movie sound was equally as impressive, all the formats were decoded perfectly. I really liked the THX Ultra 2 mode for movies, it made everthing sound very natural(not overly soft). This controller offers some of the best DD and DTS sound I have heard. I heard directional effects that I haven't heard before with movies I was very familiar with. As you can tell I'm very impressed with the RDC-7 controller.

About the only thing that I have yet to try is DVD-Audio/SACD. I'm going to give those discs a spin over the weekend, and I'll let you all know what I think.

SV

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ohyeah32
The sound that this controller produces is simply amazing. Listening to CD's was a real treat, with detail and a sense of air to the music that I just haven't experienced before. I started diging out my favorite CD's and when I listened to them I got totally lost in the music. The sound was very detailed and dynamic, and never fatiguing. I've only been using it for two days and it's sounds awesome, so I can only imagine what it's going to sound like once it's had a chance to break in.

SV
When you say "that I haven't experienced before" what are you comparing the Integra to ?

I read the DVD Etc review and must say I'm not impressed with either the Krell review or the latest review of the Parasound Halo. Saying that "both units are excellent, but have different personalities" just doesn't cut when compared to some of the more descriptive reviews found in TPV or SGHT. I just can't see what this new magazine adds to the many others already out there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Ohyea,

What are the options for the sub crossover? In the manual it says only 80, 100 and 120. Is that true?

Is it a global or per speaker adjustment?

In 2 channel and multi channel bypass mode can you still use the sub?

Can you turn off the sub and have all the LFE from all channels go to the mains based on their individual crossover points?

What is the main DSP on this unit and which DAC's if you know?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
One last question Ohyea,

I have seen that you were considering a number of different processors. What made you finally decide on this one?

Why did you turn away from the AVM20 and the Parasound Halo units?

I too am seriously considering this unit for your information.

Jim

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
"What are the options for the sub crossover? In the manual it says only 80, 100 and 120. Is that true?"

No, it's not true. The options are 40, 60, 80, 100, 120.

"Is it a global or per speaker adjustment?"

Unfortunately, it's global.

"In 2 channel and multi channel bypass mode can you still use the sub?"

In 2 channel, no. I don't know about multi channel.

"Can you turn off the sub and have all the LFE from all channels go to the mains based on their individual crossover points?"

Probably not.

"What is the main DSP on this unit and which DAC's if you know?"

Dual Burr Brown 1704 DAC's for the left and right front channels, Analog Devices 1853 for the rest.

Razvan

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
"Why did you turn away from the AVM20 and the Parasound Halo units?"

I checked out the Halo C1 at a Good Guys store and didn't like its build quality, quite light, the RDC-7 feels more solid. Also, Halo's LCD screen is blurry. Otherwise, the Halo C1 sounds very good and looks great. Still, I think that at $4500 and $6000 respectively they are both overpriced.

Razvan

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First off, sorry for taking a while to reply.

Carl Brinkman,

The pre-pros that I compared the RDC-7 to, were the Krell Showcase and the Sunfire TGIII. I'm sure that other pre-pros like the Anthem AVM20 and the Halo C2 are great sounding units, although I have not been able to listen to them(no dealers in my area). I agree that DVD ETC. should have gone a bit more in depth as to the sonic differences between the IR RDC-7 and the Krell Showcase.

jtrumper,

Razvanel pretty much answered your questions regarding the RDC-7's sub crossover options, the 2 channel and multi channel bypass modes, and which DAC's are used. As for which DSP's are used, the RDC-7 uses DSPs from Crystal’s CS49300 family for its processing and post-processing functions.

The reasons I didn't go for other pre-pro's like the Anthem AVM20, Parasound Halo C2, Lexicon MC-1 or MC-8, and Krell Showcase are many. First, none of these pre-pros offer an AC-3 RF input for laserdisc playback(I have over 100 LD's). The Anthem was definitely my top Choice, and I almost went for it(it had all the features I was looking for, minus the AC-3 input), but after talking to dealers and reading about some issues that some people were having with their new AVM20's, I decided to steer clear of it.

The Halo C2 is a very fine unit, and I'm sure a sonic marvel, but the main reason I decided against it is that the company opted in using AKM 24/92 DAC's instead of the newer higher resolution AKM 24/192 DAC's. I talked with Parasound regarding this and they told me that an upgrade is in the works, and that some time in the future these higher resolution AKM 24/192 DAC's will be offered. What their logic is on this one I don't know, as these DAC's are available already and should have been implemented in the C1 and C2 controllers. So now owners of these controllers will have to wait maybe a year for this hardware upgrade and then have to pay to have them installed.

The Lexicon MC-1 and MC-8 are real stunners for home theater use(with Logic 7 processing being about the best available), but lack when it comes to 2 channel music listening. These controllers were first and foremost designed with home theater in mind. The MC-12B on the other hand is in a league all its own, that offers some of the absolute best music and movie sound available(but a wee bit out of my pocketbook).

The Krell Showcase offers first rate sound with both music and movies and has stunning good looks , but lacks THX Ultra 2, DTS 96/24 processing, and its red on red front panel display is impossible to read from a distance. Other than that it's a winner.

Razvanel,

And although the Integra Research RDC-7 is somewhat expensive, I was able to get it for much less.

I hope I was able to explain most of the questions you all had.

SV

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.