AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you direct the rear channel signal for DVD-Audio to the rear surrounds instead of the side surrounds. Short of wiring the speakers or connections to the Pre-Amp "wrong" is there any other way?

The manual says that the DB-25 connection is for 5.1 analog or future 7.1 analog external decoders, but the supplied DB-25 cable only has 6 RCA connections. Would a DB-25 cable with 8 RCA connections be the ticket?

Thanx for any help.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Warren,

Almost certainly the Integra Research uses the Tascam DB-25 wiring scheme for the pinout.

If you do a search at pro-audio type places you can probably find the right cable to do this. I am making one big assumption here, which is that Integra has put a connection between the DB-25 input and the rear surround preamp stage. I can't guarantee you this is possible.

Here's a pointer to Tascam's pinout just to see if this is of any assistance for you:

http://www.tascam.com/pdf/TECH_DB25_Pinout.pdf

Regards,

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,

Thanx for the reply. Any suggestion on a pro-audio type site? I will compare the diagram you linked to the other cable I have which is 6 rca on one end and a DB-25 on the other but only 13 of the pins are used. I am not sure what that will tell me, but it seems like a logical thing to do :)

Thanx again.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Warren,

I didn't see anything readily available, but I didn't do that much on the search front.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I've read that BetterCables can make a 7.1-channel DB-25 to RCA adapter, but have not yet tried to confirm this.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve

Thanx for the lead. Do you think that I could route the rear signal to the rear surround instead of the side surround by changing which rca I plug in? Seems like it should work.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenbonz
Do you think that I could route the rear signal to the rear surround instead of the side surround by changing which rca I plug in? Seems like it should work.
That's how I suspect it would work. And if you want, you probably could plug the rear channel outputs into both the side and the rear inputs.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Is anyone listening to this with multi-channel music. How does it sound? My understanding is that the DB 25 is a very inexpensive type of interconnect. (Outlaw has separate inputs) I wonder why these were used.

Also can anyone recommend good and inexpensive balanced cables for the RDC-7 and the RDA amp. Can't afford Harmonic Techology at $300 a pair. Someone mentioned making their own but I'm not sure how practical an idea that is for me.

Aslo what are owners using the remote. The factory one or another one? I am planning on buying the upgraded model and want to plan ahead.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
I use the RDC7 feeding a Theta Dreadnaught powering a B&Wn/Def Tech array. I've enjoyed the DVD-A discs I have. However, 2 thoughts:

1) I don't own any of them in 'regular' CD also so cant compare

2) While they sound good, it's not earth shattering as I was hoping for...it's a MUCH less pleasing experience (for me anyway) that watching a good HD program

TM

PS - warren, good to see you...did you ever get a PJ?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called Integra and they initially told me that I could not change the pin configuration to accomplish routing the rear signal to the back surround instead of the side surrounds. I checked the owners manual and found in the very beggining under FEATURES that the DB-25 connector is a 7.1 multichannel input. I spoke with Integra Research again and after checking with a more technical person they said that changing the pin configuration would work and faxed me the pin assignment. If anyone is interested in it you can PM me and I would be happy to fax it to you.

I ultimately decided to just move my speakers and forget about the custom cable. I realized that I prefer the sound to actually come from the side than the rear for DVD-Audio. Also the RDC-7 cannot set up the side speakers as small and the rear as large for some strange reason. (You Can set up the side as large and the rear as small though.)

Hey Slingshot,

As far as listening to multichannel music I am completely sold. I am thrilled with the sound of my system. [Integra RDC-7, Sunfire Signature Series 2 channel for front, 5 channel for the rest, Aerial Acoustic 10'ts front and side, CC5 center, SR3 rear, MIrage 150 Sub (soon to be upgraded)] The right music mixed well sounds unbelievable (totally believable actually).

I highly recommend Queen "A Night at the Opera" and Eagles "Hotel California". They sound incredible to me. As far as the DB-25 connection being a "cheap" connector I don't really know. I do know that I love the way my set up sounds.:D

I use a Pronto for the remote.

Hey Anthony,

No on the projector. Still waiting. I will probably get a crt when I move. I still haven't seen the D-ILA yet though and maybe the next generation of DLP won't cause headaches for me. I guess I will have to suffer with my Pioneer 610 til then (poor me) ;)

If you ever come to Jersey u should come by. PM me or give a call if you are interested.

All the Best

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Warrenbonz: Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that the DB25 connection works well. Does the Pronto come with codes for the Integra? Not sure how Pronto works.

I am planning on purchasing both the upgraded processor and the amp. and I am selling a Citation amp on Audiogon. A person called me about them just now. He said that his friend works in a high end home theater store and the friend said that the Integra was the best thing on the market. Of course its only his opinion but it was nice to hear another recommendation. (I also considered the Anthem 20 and the Outlaw 970. The Outlaw is remakable for the price but I question the build quality and the parts quality at that price point. The Anthem 20 has received great reviews but it needs an upgrade. My feeling is that the Integra is probably a step up on the food chain. I like the fact that it was designed by a consortium of companies, each one contributing its expertise to the processor.

The one major weakness with the Integra is the fixed 80HZ bass management. The new upgrade increases the crossover point instead of decreasing it. Why Integra didn't lower the crossover and make it defeatable for THX is beyond me. Also would be nice to have separate crossovers for front, rear, etc. Outlaw has this feature. Lets start a write in campaign.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Slingshot,

Your Welcome.

I have already written them on the crossover issue, but would be happy to sign a petition or another letter.

As far as the Pronto, I am not nearly an expert with it. I found it easier to enter the commands in one at a time from the Integra Remote. Remotecentral.com has alot of hardcore Pronto people there that could give you more info.

Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Warren: You seem to be a wealth of information on the RDC-7. I printed out the manual and found it difficult to follow as far as understanding all of the features it offers.

In the case where there is no DD ES signal or an equivilent DTS signal for the 7.1 channels, will it simulate something in the two rear channels or will there be no sound? The Outlaw processor offers something called Cirrus Sound that generates a sound in the rear two speakers.

Also a basic question about THX which I do not have now on my processor. If everything below 80HZ cut off with DD or DTS signals or only with a DPL signal ? Does this just apply to the surround and rear speakers? If either is the case then what is the point of having full range speakers ) that would generate good sound below 80HZ) for either the front or rear besides of course listening to two channel stereo where you could turn off the subwoofer?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Slingshot,

Glad I could help. As I understand it, in the set up menu you can select side +rear for DD and DTS and the RDC-7 will duplicate the side info in the rear.

I am not sure I understand your next question, but I think this might help. I believe that when you select small for your speaker size (front, center, side or rear) everything 80Hz and below is not sent to that speaker. Speakers set to Large get full range signals. You can select subwoofer on or off for different signal types. For example I have subwoofer set to on in stereo mode and by design it is off in direct mode so I have an easy way to use or not use my sub in stereo.

Hope this helps.

I just reread your question and I think I initially misread it, but I thought I would leave my 1st reply as you might find it helpful as well. As far as can the RDC-7 take 2 channel material and turn it into 7.1 I believe one or more of the surround modes can do it, but I am not sure. I usually just use PLII (which I believe converts 2 channel to 5.1 not 7.1 yet).

Best Wishes

·
Registered
160 Posts
The RDC-7 does have a mode that converts 2 channel music into 7.1, but I forgot the name they use. Look in the manual under listening modes. I use DPLII in 5.1 when I want surround music.

Any 5.1 DD or DTS program can be played back in 7.1. Engaging the 7.1 mode will derive rear surround information from the side surrounds. It is not an identical reproduction, instead the algorithm (I think) looks for surround that is reproduced in both side surrounds and steers a reproduction to the back. Sound reproduced in just one side surround will not be duplicated in the rear.

I use a Home Theater Master MX-1000 remote and am very happy with it.

BetterCables will make the cable you are looking for. Its a custom order and will run you about $120. The can do the pin configuration any way you want.

Try Wireworld Equinox III balanced interconnects. I think I paid $325 total for 2 1/2 pair, 1.5M length.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Warren: Thanks for the info. I knew about the full range setting but started getting confused.

I am thinking of purchasing the Parasound 6.1 expander but only using it for the subwoofer connection and one ceiling speaker. The Parasound has output for ceiling speakers. Does anyone know of an inexpensive crossover that would at least allow the connection of surround speakers to a passive sub?

I now have 2 Citation 7.3 surround sound speakers and by adding the passive 7.4 Citation sub connected to the Parasound, I will have full range. I also plan on purchasing another set of 7.3 speakers for the rear channel. THX Ultra II requires direct radiator speakers in the back. The Citation 7.3's can be set to either direct or surround/Dipole or both. If in direct mode only they run at 4 ohms. (I also have another 7.4 sub for the LFE in the front of the room. Both subs will be driven by a Citation 7.1 amp bridged at 450 watts.)

I am sure there are better speakers on the market than the 7.3s but I don't want floor speakers for the surrounds or the rear. Any recommendations before I order another set.? They run about $600 and go down. from there if used.

Jakermc: Thanks for info and recommendation on balanced cables. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.