AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know if the Integra Research RDV-1 has the chroma upsampling bug? I own one and wasn't aware of the bug when I bought it (more than a year ago). When I became aware of the bug I started looking for it and was unable to detect it. I would assume it DOES have it because it's based on the Onkyo 939, but I really can't see it, and I really tried! I'm viewing on an 6 foot wide screen (Plus Piano), and am using the interlaced component output of the player.

-- Eldad.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought too, but looking at the picture I can't detect anything that looks like the chroma bug. I looked at the ZORG logo in fifth element (very bright blue shape), and at a few scenes in "North by North-West". I used the zoom in feature to look at problem areas closely. Nothing. Maybe some other circuit in the unit manages to hide it well enough that I can't detect it? My next step will be to open the unit up and find the MPEG decoder and see which one it is. It's supposed to be the Zoran (that's the one in the Onkyo 939), and the Zoran does have the bug. I wonder if while modifying the basic model they replaced the MPEG decoder? Doesn't make sense, considering that they saw fit to leave the cheapest, low-end Genesis deinterlacer in a $3000 player (that one I've verified by opening my unit a few months ago).

-- Eldad.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, kept looking with the zoom on on various places.

It's there alright, you just have to know where to look. I'm now seeing that ALL the jagged lines are somewhat distorted. As can be expected, it highly depends on the shape of the curve. It's almost invisible without zooming the picture in (from my seating position - when I stand close to the screen it becomes clearly visible), but with full zoom in it become painfully obvious...

One thing I'm confused about is that I also saw it in His Girl Friday (Black & White), practically everywhere. How can that be?

Thanks,

-- Eldad.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm using the interlaced component output because my Plus Piano only takes 480i. It's not deinterlacing related because when I zoom in the artifact becomes very large (larger than one or two lines), so it can't be the Piano.

-- Eldad.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
What you are seeing in B&W sounds like it might be as scaling error, but without a photo it is hard to tell.

On his Girl Friday, pull the color channels and only feed in the Y channel. If you still see something, then it is your display causing the problem.

My Girl Firday is 4:3 no? If so, then we know it is not a downconversion artifact. (in case you had the player set for 4:3 instead of 16:9.)

The zoom mode in the DVD player or display? If the quality of the zoom is poor, it can be doing its own damage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sspears, I really don't think it's scaling related (at least at the projector level), because it looks the same regardless of the Piano's scaling mode, and I've tried native as well. I've already tried pulling out the chroma channel cables thinking the DVD may use the chroma channel to augments whites or something. That didn't make a difference (except making the subtitles white...). His Girl Friday is 4:3, but again, it doesn't matter. I've tried all different scaling settings.

It is possible that it's the DVD's zoom, which I'm using to get a bigger picture of the picture area in question. I'll look closely at the screen without the zoom and see if I can detect the anomaly without it. If I can see it without the zoom, I'll try to post a picture of what it looks like tommorow.

Thanks for you help,

-- Eldad.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Doesn't the Plus Piano also mask Chroma bug, with it's Faroudja deinterlacing built in on some materials?

Regards,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.