AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anybody has had a chance to use the integrated ALC 889A audio on their HTPC yet? It's pretty new, so far I've seen it listed for the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 and similar p35 mainboards, but it's VERY hard to get any information on the chipset. I'd like to use it, or use a different board with an ALC 888 chipset to play games and music through my pc to a Panasonic SA-XR55 Receiver through the optical s/pdif out, but will this work?? I have a few questions about it -

1. Is the ALC 889A supported in Linux through say ALSA Kernel or some other method? Or would I be stuck with XP or even Vista?

2. By outputting the signal through the optical s/pdif jack directly into my panny receiver, will that eliminate any noise that's commonly associated with using integrated audio circuits? There seems to be some controversy on this, but since the signal is digital I'd assume that eliminates any of the em noise you get through analog connections. Am I wrong in assuming that?

I hope to hear some experiences regarding this chipset, the internet is pretty dry on this subject. Even Altec's website doesn't list info on the chip! =) Thanks guys.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Maybe a lack of response means that no one has tried it yet...

If it's so brand spanking new that it's not even on the vendor's site yet, don't get all worked up that our little community doesn't know much about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nobody knows... nobody cares. Looking at the front page of this forum I am starting to realize how vain the proprietors and consumers (yes, I use that term disparingly) of this site are. For example:

"Home Theater Bachelor Pad on a Budget" the story of a man with a budget of $50,000 who ends up spending $100,000 and yet "doesn't break the bank." Come again? Or how about the next story:

"Wireless Electricity" INNOVATION!!! OMG are you serious? Wireless electricity - no way! Oh wait, didn't Nokola Tesla patent that technology over 100 years ago? I guess nobody's heard of the Wardenclyffe Tower? He also built an electric car back then but nobody cared. I'm sure they were all too busy picking nits about which type of cylinder worked best for recordings.

See the parallels? Of course you don't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
[bump] I'm considering a mobo with this chipset, and I was really hoping someone might be able to confirm that I would be able to use the coax s/pdif out in ubuntu or just linux in general might help. Does alsa have support for this now? Hopefully people have had a chance to play around with it a bit.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Totally wrong area. This should be in the Linux HTPC area.I don't know what was up with the beginning of this thread but I'll hope this is a legit question.The sound chip is supported in Linux. I have one outputting via coax on my main htpc with no problems, including DD/DTS passthrough, works fine with pulseaudio and alsa (alsa sink in pulseaudio I guess).

-Trouble

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.