AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just inherited some old Sonus Faber Minuetto passive bookshelf speakers that I'd like to hook up to my current "home theater" system. My system is basically a Mac Mini hooked up to a TV which is then connected to two amplified bookshelf speakers. Now that I will be replacing my amplified speakers with these passive ones, I need some sort of amplifier to get everything working again (I think 30W is what the Minuetto's say is necessary). Obviously, I'm not a hi-fi person so I'm looking for something relatively cheap (in the $300 range). I have been looking at integrated amplifiers to accomplish this task, but I would be open to other suggestions if people have them.

Two things that would be ideal:

1. I'd like to connect the TV and the Mac Mini separately because I'd like to listen to music Airplay'd to my Mac Mini WITHOUT the TV being on (my current amplified speakers only have a single input, so this isn't possible). Both my TV and the Mac Mini have digital optical and analog outputs so as long as the amplifier supports 2 of those it should be fine.

2. Can handle an IR remote (logitech harmony) so that I can change the volume without turning a knob. My TV has a fixed analog audio output so I can't actually change the volume even if the sound from the Mac Mini passes through the TV with my current amplified speakers.

I've noticed the TEAC A-H01 as well as the NuForce DIA pretty much both fit the bill (though I can't find the NuForce anywhere). I also saw the AudioEngine N22 but it doesn't support an IR remote. I could also just get a low-end receiver but I don't really like the bulkiness when I'm not going to use any of its features anytime soon.

So, basically I'd really be grateful for any thoughts on the A-H01 and the DIA, or any other integrated amplifiers that I have not found in my price range. Also, I would be interested to hear others opinions on going the integrated amplifier route vs. just buying a low-end receiver. Again, I don't plan on upgrading any of my current system for at least a few years and my console doesn't even have 6" + shelves for those bulky receivers, but I would be open to hearing opinions on the idea.

Thank you in advance for any insight/opinions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know this is resurrecting an old thread from the dead, but I thought I would post my experience with the TEAC A-H01 integrated amplifier.

It's tiny, it's warm (sounding), it's cool (to the touch), and I love it. It powers diamond wharfedale 10.1 speakers . The TEAC feels very solid at all contact points, but has plastic top, bottom and sides and rear panel. The front panel is metal and the volume knob is very high quality with good resistance. It has enough power to make my ears bleed with the wharfedale's (86 db sensitivity) in my 14 x 16 foot office. The wharfedales are 6 Ohm speakers. The sound is warm, but still detailed. The source I am using is SPDIF (optical) from the computer playing FLAC and ALAC files. Other inputs are asynchronous USB and coaxial digital inputs. An amplified headphone jack that accepts a 1/4" plug is on the front panel.

Hooking it up is simple and it's very easy to place since it's less than 3 inches tall. It also has a subwoofer line out. It has enough weight to counteract 14 ga wire and subwoofer line out aren't pulling it off the desk. I got the silver model for $299 from crutchfield.

If you need good sound to power speakers in a small room with a mid-fi DAC you won't be disappointed.

Pros - Warm Sound
Subwoofer line out
Good power for a small size room
Cool and quiet (fanless design)

Cons - remote is terrible - cheap feeling and doesn't power unit on/off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts