AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some on here, who don't believe you can tell much of a difference between different solid state amps... I'm skeptical on it as I have not had a chance to really compare amps with same equipment in a system.

Currently I am running a B&K Pt3 as a pre and a Parasound 2125 as the amp. I've currently moved my two channel rig into a smaller room and was thinking about simplifying things by trading the separates for an integrated amp, such a NAD, Cambridge, Music Hall, Rega, or Marantz. I'm also open to other options or suggestions. however my main question is, while I understand I will be losing out on some power, will I losing a lot in terms of quality sound by moving to one of these integrated amps, or will I even be possibly gaining some quality, my main concern is at least making a lateral Quality move. I currently run Polk LS 50s as my mains, but I just ordered some Ascend Sierra-1s.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubacca /forum/post/19552188

B&k makes/made good equipment. You do have a chance at degrading your sound depending on your choice, budget.

Add Arcam, peachtree audio and creek to your list.

They are, just can't list everything..
I've really thought about the peachtree products since i plan on going all digital in the near future, but the price is a little much b/c i think i'd want the Nova if i'm going to use the amp portion of peachtree, i feel the decco 2 might be a little too light at 40wpc @ 6ohms, may have to audition the nova, since i know somewhere local where they carry it.

glad to know for the most part i shouldn't see much loss if any..

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
You will not suffer any decline in audio quality unless you choose an amp that isn't powerful enough to drive your speakers. For a small room, where you won't be pumping things too loud, I'd look at the Rotel RA-05.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Here's a little variety all a little different in build and sound. Musical Fidelity 3i (solid state), Vincent SV226 (Hybrid) and Jolida 502B (Tube). Keep your options open lots of intresting intergrateds out there. Enjoy the hunt.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I own a B&K Ref 10 (HT Pre), but use it as a a stereo preamp now. I also use it with a Parasound Z.amp. These are hooked up to a pair of Soliloquy 5.0 monitors. This is a nice combination for music. I also own a NAD c340 integrated and I feel that with my speakers the B&K/Parasound combo sounds better.

In another room I have a pair of ERA Design D4 monitors and the NAD sounds better than the B&K with this system.

My point is that as a generalization brands like Rega, Arcam, Creek, Peachtree Audio will probably be more resolving than the others like NAD or Marantz. That does not mean that they will not sound better in your system. Your room is going to have a lot to do with it.

I was giving you my recommendations based on what I would really like to do with my system. Personally I wouldn't move from my NAD or B&K system to anything less than the Rega, Arcam or Peachtree integrated amps. Lucky for me I have $0 allocated so I don't have to make that call.

Good Luck.

Charlie

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are y'alls thoughts on Music Hall? I know that they and Creek have the same parent company.. would you say the Music Hall and Creek are probably about the same quality?

·
Registered
11,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsax /forum/post/19556717

What are y'alls thoughts on Music Hall? I know that they and Creek have the same parent company.. would you say the Music Hall and Creek are probably about the same quality?

No; IMO, the Creek is a notch up.

CD

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/19556879

No; IMO, the Creek is a notch up.

CD

At least a notch. While Music Hall is a decent entry, Creek is another level of performance.

Another worthy passive/pre consideration is Exposure.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity
Integrated amps are fine, but I like to avoid them. If I were to ever want to make a switch to proper active bi or tri-amping, the last the last thing I'd want is a cascading preamp section.

I'd pick up one of these

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/hk-3490
this unit has plenty of power, but tonal balance is terrible, i have a vintage pair of parasound preamp and amp combo that cost me a combined six hundred, i thought i was upgrading when i picked this unit up, and i had it hooked up for about an hour before i switched back to my old equipment, this unit is very bright

Associated equipment:

Martin Logan Vantage Electrostatic transducer

yamaha BDP-s2900

Panamax 5400

Audioquest King Cobra interconnects

Auidoquest type 4 speaker cable

audition the marantz Pm8004 in the same price range, very good value

1 - 15 of 15 Posts