AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been trying to figure out if an integrated tuner is worth it.

As of now most of us plan to watch DVD, PVR, Xbox, Dish, Cable box, etc.

so the only use for an integrated (analog) tuner is for those who want to hook up the tv right away and watch OTA broadcast or basic cable feed - granted picture quality will be lacking. RIGHT??

Let's jump to the future when there is no analog OTA signal or analog cable feeds (no cable box) in 2006+ and some of the members talk about moving their ED 42" tv to the bedroom where they may not have DVD, Xbox, etc.

Will that analog tuner be totally worthless?

Is the tuner just going to be a "nice" feature for the next ~3 years??

Just making sure if I buy a commercial model I won't kick my self for some reason down the road.

· Registered
7,295 Posts
Hello,

It depends upon how much you think you will want to watch an analog tuner. Analog is capable of producing a reasonably pleasing picture. Dedicated outboard analog, stereo TV tuners are pretty rare but do exist. Thankfully, if you don't get one now you will be able to utilize one in an old VCR.

Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

· Registered
258 Posts
Not a huge factor by any means... but I currently have digital cable from Time Warner, and for those rare times that digital cable is out or the cable box is on the fritz, it's nice to be able to still watch the analog channels via the built-in tuner. I had to ditch the VCR since it was one too many components in my new A/V cabinet, and we use the cable box's built-in DVR exclusively now for recording duties...

· Registered
81 Posts
It also helps if you want to record one program to your SA Tive while watching another one on your display.

Ray

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm...all interesting points.

I have never had PIP and don't think it will be much use once the novelty wares out.

I imagine I will get digital service from Time Warner soon after I buy the plasma and since the cable box will switch the channels then it or my VCR will solve the tuner issue.

I don't record much now, but a DVR could certainly be in my future - again might be something I will just have to live with.

Overall I would say that short term no tuner is no problem.

No one commented on long term, but I gather an analog tuner will be worthless once all broadcasts are HD and an HD tuner will always be needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.