AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching for the right total control solution for my HT. A picture is worth two thousand if I'm doing the talking!

The GREEN lines represent what I am doing now. The RED is the functionality that I would like to add. I plan to eventually add an HDTV card and multi-zone audio down the road.

There are TOO many pieces of the puzzle out there. MainLobby, MyHTPC, CQC, xLobby, HomeSeer, Girder, etc., etc. But I just don't know how to fit the pieces together.

Does anyone have ANY ideas or suggestions?

Finding a package that allows for browser control seems to be the tough part. Admittedly, I'm ready to 'bite the bullet' and purchase MainLobby, but I remain a little hesitant because of the variety of other options available. (Some of them FREE!)

Also, I get the impression that there is a pretty steep learning curve with all of these products and before I commit to hours of learning, scripting, debugging and tinkering I want to be sure. It took me weeks to get the hang of HomeSeer - no one told me I had to learn basic ASP and VB in order to make it do the things I wanted it to do! My own fault, but this time I want to know what I'm getting myself (and my marriage!) into.

Mike

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
In the next release (1.2) CQC could basically replace Girder and Homeseer, and provide the PC/tablet interface, or keypads if you wanted to. The only thing it's missing right now is application control, but that's the major feature in the upcoming 1.2 release. Having a single, integrated system is a big advantage, and CQC has both the front end and back end and can do all the IR, X-10, serial, socket, and USB device control.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've not used it but apparently there is a USB-UIRT plugin for Homeseer. I think that would get you everything you need - IR input to Homeseer, HTTP input to Homeseer's built-in web server, girder integration, lighting control, scripting, etc.

In your diagram just insert Homeseer in between the USB-UIRT and Girder, with a two-way arrow between HS and Girder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.