AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My objective here is to have a HT with minimal number of components. It will have a plasma display (Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY), a HD cable box and (hopefully) an integrated receiver+DVD.

Most of use of this HT is for watching DVDs, with some peeking at local HDTV channels offered by cable co.

This HT will be on a small room (about 150sqft), so I don't need any powerful receiver. But good sound is required.

I'm set to buy that panny because of its video quality and good value.

Because it only offers one component input (standard config), I believe I'll have to do the component video switching at the receiver.

I like the idea of switching at the receiver because it simplifies the system operation for the rest of the family. I specially like the idea of not have to use the remote for the plasma display. To complete this simplicity, I would actually prefer a single disk instead a multi disk unit. I'm not going to use this HT for much music listening.

Now questions:

First of all, is component video switching at the receiver a good idea?

I couldn't find much information if the PQ is actually compromised or not.

Second, are there good quality receivers sub $600 (street price) that do what I want?

Thanks.

:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That new sony single-dvd receiver looks really cool. Are sony ES good performants and good value? $800 is a little higher than I can afford, but it is something that will last next 10 years, then I would take it.

I would like to know about my other question: is component video switching with recent receiver a good idea (PQ compromise)?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Surround receivers at this price point are all pretty much the same. I like the Integra line from Onkyo. It provides rear ir jack, RS-232 control the usual DSP modes and a very good amplifier section. It will transcode composite to S-video, has 5 S-video inputs and 2 outputs and has component video switching ( 2 sources ). Video bandwidth for the DTR-5.4 ( list price 600 ) is 50 MHz.

Integra also makes a Progressive DVD/Receiver combination. Amp section looks a little weak and I have never used this piece. List price is 600.00

SONY ES line is well built and should last. I believe it still carries a 3 year warranty. While SONY is not the first name in audio the ES line is solid. As I said products in this price point are more or less the same. I prefer the Integra because of its control features. I doubt you will hear or see any differences between products ( they are there but they really do not matter much)

Video switching is a matter of bandwidth. 50MHz is a minimum and 60MHZ and up is better. The rule of thumb is 3 to 4 times the video signal. For NTSC that would be 4 times 3.5MHz or 14 MHz. I think ATSC is 15MHz which is 60MHz. I have never used a receiver to switch component video sources. Every plasma to date we have installed we have either used an outboard switcher ( eg., Extron or Crestron ) or it has had 2 component or RGBHV inputs ( HD IRDs allow you to output DVI, VGA or component ). I believe your Panasonic has both component and DVI but I do not believe your HD cable box will have DVI outputs. So use a component switcher in your receiver.

Alan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Integras are interesting, but not what I'm looking for.

I have been looking at several places (BestBuy, GoodGuys, Circuit City, etc.) and I have found anything close what I need. Salesperson were not helpful as well. The places I searched online I could not have any good detail of the connections of how they work.

Anyone in this forum has seen a receiver+dvd with component video switching at all?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.