AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an occasional lurker here, and I've got a project in mind that I'd like some input on...

I want to build a media console for a LP player, LP storage (about 3-4 linear ft of LPs). And to top it all off, I want it to have the speakers built-in. Basically, I'd like a more modern version of a Magnavox LP/Vinyl cabinet.

My general plan is for something between a Symbol Modern Audio console (left) and an Urban Outfitters Draper Media Console (right). Not sure if the images work (first time trying to link them), but if not, they are the first google image hits with those terms.

Anyway, my vision is the top half of the Symbol console with the bottom 2/3 of the Draper console, including the brass tipped legs. My ideal record storage would be some kind of hinge system where you could pull the drawer front and it tilts down so that you can see all the LPs. But the odds are that this type of hinge is beyond my craftsmanship or requires parts that I won't be able to readily obtain (I'd need a mechanism that can support ~120lbs with a single bin or ~60lbs for two bins. I haven't quite worked out the details of integrating an amp into this piece vs sitting it next to the turntable. I have no idea what model amp would even work. All I know is that I'll be using an Audio Technica LP60USB or LP120USB as the turntable. In any case, that leaves the speakers.

I want the speakers built into the unit. Most of it will likely be 3/4" Ply, but I need to do some research to make sure that I use wood that won't sag over time when bearing 100-200 lbs of stuff. I'm leaning towards DIY speakers, but I don't know if I should get sealed in-walls and build those in instead. Sound quality is surprisingly not the #1 factor. Priorities are #1 WAF, #2 Cost, #3 sound quality. To be honest, I'm looking into the possibility of acoustically "transparent" wood veneers to laminate over the baffle/grill. For this first build, I'm willing to accept sound quality comparable to Bose or whatever other lowest common denominator you can imagine. I figure that as I develop woodworking skills, I'll be able to dream up a nicer cabinet in a few years.

So the big questions: has anyone done anything like this, and do you have any recommendations/resources/suggestions?

·
Registered
315 Posts
very cool !!!

if I may suggest drivers, check the Dayton ND series out, they might suit your needs ! these can run on a small stereo amp built into the cabinet. for lows, I would suggest a 10" subwoofer driver in a cabinet, make it compact with built in plate amp, around 250W would suffice with above mentioned speakers.

Do read the reviews for these soeakers. Very good for the cost.

That is what I would do...

Also, how big is the room you would place this in ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think coaxial drivers will probably be your best bet (that's what they use in the modern console) - especially if you can build a sub in elsewhere in the setup. Coax drivers certainly aren't cheap, but they'll take up the smallest amount of area, likely sound better than an equivalent 2 way if you're not sitting away from the main listening area (more consistent horizontal and vertical directivity than a 2 way), and they are generally pretty sensitive and do not require a lot of amp power.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Very cool idea, but don't sell yourself short with regard to sound quality. I realize your priorities, but I think you could just as easily make this cabinet put out some very satisfying and high quality sound ... with essentially the same effort and expense.

Admittedly, I've not given this much thought, but I'd examine a coax platformed three way, with a stealthily employed (rear/down firing) sub shared by both channels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Planned room is 14x11 dining room, with 1 normal doorway on the edge of the long wall and two "arched"/wide doorways on the each 11' wall (think mushroom sillouette). One of the arched doorways leads to a 22x13 living room, which is where a reasonable portion of the listening will take place.

If I go with the separate drivers etc, how do I fit optimal dimensions so that everything is "flush" with the edges of my cabinet? I'm okay with some unused dead space.

BTW that Paragon D44000 (at least google images suggests) is kind of cool except for the price and lack of LP storage/player integration. Heh, I guess I'm not as appreciative of higher end audio as I thought I was.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Tilting storage like this? http://www.symbolaudio.com/lp-storage-cabinets/#!prettyPhoto

Think of your design as a series of stacked cubes and go from there. More LP drawers makes the weight easier to deal with

3/4" veneered plywood and a modest amount of solid wood trim is pretty easy to work with.

Rockler http://www.rockler.com/ is a good source for hardware.

I would design the speakers into the cabinets with a removable front baffle. Not flush, but leave a 3/4" or so inset to install flush grill cover. Add bricks or whatever to reduce the volume if needed. Or a secret door on the side that opens up a small liquor cabinet behind the speaker.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's almost exactly the kind of tilting storage I'm picturing. So basically something like a Symbol LPC 200 on the bottom with a Symbol modern record cabinet on top. I don't necessarily need the speakers to be on the top half. They can be on the "sides" of the whole unit if the extra height is beneficial. I'm thinking about the cabinet as a bunch of sections. One section for the LP Player/Amp, one section for the LP storage, two sections for speakers.

Here's an attempt at drawing it out: very bad sketch I'm okay with either design.

As far as drivers- is the general consensus 3-way coaxial drivers? I'd like to avoid additional "section" for a sub-sized sub. Can I get away with a combination of coaxial drivers that produces a relatively full range? If I can make this sound comparable to a cabinet with shelves on the sides that have a couple of Swans M200MKII or Audioengine A5s hidden behind a grill, I'd probably be happy. Am I correct in understanding I can mount coaxial drivers those in my cabinet so that the speaker grill will be flush with the cabinet face? I realize speaker carcasses tend to be MDF for uniformity of sound- do my speaker sections need to be MDF attached to Plywood, MDF separated from plywood (speaker within a section?), or is mounting directly on Ply not likely to make a significant difference?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts