AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting in the DVD Recorder forum because I've come to trust the advice of many of you.

Just rec'd the Denon 1815 CD/DVD player from eCost.com. It replaces and old Sony CD player. MSRP was $300.00. Paid $100.00 as it is a refurbished model. Trying to integrate it with my current system that includes a Sony 27 inch TV with 2 line inputs(S video and composite).

I have The Sharp 300 DVD Recorder going to the composite line 2. The Sony 400 disc megachanger going to the S-Video on line 1. I have a Sony receiver with multiple S-video connections. I receive broadcasts OTA(for the VCR and Sharp). No cable or Sat.

I want to connect all 3 DVD players/recorders s-video out to the receiver and the receiver s-video to the TV. Or, use the Megachangers' component out to the receiver comp input. Is this feasable?

What is the resolution of composite connections? I believe S-Video is 480i. What about component and 1394? Also need a primer or reminder on progressive scan. I think that's with component connections or HiDef.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Using the receiver as an S-Video switcher should work fine for a 27" TV. I'm using my JVC receiver for that very purpose with my 40" RPTV and it works great.

Not sure about your receiver, but my receiver works as a switcher only, not a converter. It switches S-Video and Component, but doesn't convert one to another. So an S-Video connection input to the receiver can only come out on the S-Video output, not the component output. And vice versa.

Unless something has sneaked under my radar, I believe composite and S-Video connections are used only for interlaced 480i signals. In the analogue domain progressive scan requires the use of a component connection (and a progressive-capable display). It doesn't have to be high definition - lots of DVD players can output a progressive signal (480p) in standard DVD resolution.

Sorry, not enough experience with 1394 to comment.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sean- So both composite and s-video have the same resolution=480i? Can't be. What's the benefit of s video then?

BTW I'm right in the middle of hooking things up. Receiver has no component in/out. 3 s video inputs for TV, DVD and Video 1 which also has an s video out. That worries me if I connect the Denon to video 1 input. Will the receivers' s video to TV monitor work? I'm checking it out now.

The Sony DVD player is connected to the receivers' DVD/LD inputs. I'm leaving the Sharp DVD Recorder hooked up to line 2 of the TV(hence my question on composite resolution). OTA antennae feeds the TV, VCR and Sharp via a splitter. Maybe I should get a signal amplifier?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Davis
Sean- So both composite and s-video have the same resolution=480i? Can't be. What's the benefit of s video then?
Both S-video and composite connections are capable of handling the same amount of resolution. Some people think they can't, but they are wrong. (another urban legend) Both are quite capable of handling the same bandwidth.

The advantage of S-video is that it handles the luminance (brightness) and chrominance (color) portions of the signal on separate wires, reducing the complexity of decoding that sub-carrier information from within a single wire transmission. Comb filters on TV's and other video gear are for decoding composite signals, whereas S-video signals bypass that circuitry and usually produce a better picture. Assuming all other circuits are equal.....

The moral is...... resolution alone does not make for a great looking picture.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UnWillyn- Thanks for your input. I'm aware that resolution is just one factor as is the saying your system is only as good as your weakest component. That's why I've been upgrading my cables. Next is speaker wire. I'd love to buy a HD TV or something close to it. Finances and my wife being what they are I'll just have to wait.

BTW I've hooked up the Sony DVD player to the Rec's DVD input. The Denon is Video 1 as it has an s-video input. I'm leaving the Sharp hooked up to the TV line 2 for the time being.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Davis
Finances and my wife being what they are I'll just have to wait.
Jay,

A spouse is a good "reality check" item to help curb potential hardware addiction. From 1969 to 1995 I was the poster child for out of control audio and video component acquisitions. Got to the point that the various "Pro" division support people at electronics manufacturing plants around the world sent me Christmas cards.

When I entered rehab for "silicon addiction" in 1996, the Tokyo Exchange plummeted 2400 points in a single day !!!

It was really tough, and more than once I was caught smuggling a universal remote into the house, buried in a loaf of french bread. But, I'm much better now :)

Still, B&H sends their phone book sized catalogs of professional gear to me, in the hope that I'll "fall off the wagon" one day soon.

I really think I've got that monkey off my back, and the arrival of my Pioneer 533 will be the "acid test" of my rehabilitation ....

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poster child for addiction you say. If you look up the definition of it in a dictionary you'll see my picture next to it. My addiction is ongoing. Started in 1972 when I bought my first HiFi system. Sony reciever, a Dual 1219 turntable that I still use. But, couldn't afford a very good set of speakers. Always looking to upgrade. Still am.

The acid test for me will come when we need a new TV. I'd love to get the Sony KBR????960 WS and HD model. Price was just lowered too. To under $2,000.00. Or, when the new Sony DVD recorder with dual layer burning comes out.

I love to open up the 'hot sheet' Email I get from eCost. That's how I got the Denon 1815 CD/DVD player that started this thread. Paid $100.00 for a refurbished model that has an MSRP of $300.00. Just before that I bought the Sony RM -AV2500 universal remote for almost half price.

I was smuggling in DVD's I purchased at BB. That was until my wife accidently discovered my hiding place. For a while she was opening up my UPS or Fed Ex deliveries. Now, after over 31 years of marraige she wants a diamond wedding ring partly to make up for all of my recent purchases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.