AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering going to Sat, but keeping cable for local stations, other rooms in house, etc. Also looking to get HD set top box for my HDTV...

My question is this: Do the 3 formats get along? Do the channel guides "merge" the data?

In addition, I have a Replay TV unit...does anybody know if THAT will handle all 3 sources in a humane manner...both from a channel guide perspective as well as the recording side. Thanks!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
You should be fine with 1-2 sd inputs and 1 HD input on your tv. Here is what you could do...

Replay should be able to merge cable and sat (my tivo does), as for the HDTV it depends on your setup, but you will not get HD quality recordings unless you are one of the few with a discontinued [JVC?] HD recorder. This could all change, but I haven't kept up with HD recording issues lately, so maybe someone else can let us know.

My Setup:

I have tivo going to SD input1 of my tv. Cable and Sat are fed to tivo integrating nicely together in one menu. I have a second sat with HD cabability, going to my HD input and my SD input 2. This serves two purposes; one of course to watch HD in "HD", the other is to watch 'other' programing while tivo is recording if need be.

This setup works very well for me. Hope this helps, Kirk

[This message has been edited by KirkW (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
I don't know about replay (may work better on one of your non-HD setups), but you'll need a Mits/Tosh/Hughes or Panasonic STB to combine all the guides. The feature is Advanced Program Guide and there are a few good threads here.

RCA has anounced APS for some new units, but not for HD yet.

Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.