AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just upgraded my home entertainment system with a 46" BenQ Plasma and a Hughes HD satellite receiver.

So, as I am hooking everything up, I am trying to have access to HDTV when it is available....

The RPTV audio delay is frustrating my plans -- I normally run the satellite to the RPTV and then to the TV - however, with my HDTV set up that does not allow me to watch high def stuff.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got a DCT5100 which has both digital and analog audio outs, as well as s-video and component out, all on all the time. I wire the s-video and the RCA audio into the replay, with the replay audio out going to my receiver and the video to the tv. For HD signals, I just used another digital input, and hooked the component cables straight to the TV. Lots of switching around, but it works well enough for me. In either mode, though, I'm using the replaytv to change channels. My TV also has a split-screen feature, so I can bring that up whenever I want to look at the channel guide since I can't access the 5100's guide.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
You are running the HDTV video through a different path without the replayTV. You'll just need to do the same with the audio, either the Hughes reciever has a second set of audio outs you could run to the receiver? I have Directv HDTV reciver running component video out to the TV and optical audio out to the reciver on video 1. I then run another output set, s-video and rca analog audio out to the replay. Run the replay out to the receiver on video 2.

If you want HDTV or to watch the sat tuner without the replay (remember the replay will have control of the reciever, not you. You must be responsible to not change channels when you are recording!!!) just select the receiver's video 1 and the component input on the plasma.

If you want replayTV select video 2 on the reciver and then select a composite or s-video input on the plasma.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a similar issue. I use an older RCA DTC100 (I think) for DTV and HDTV. The problem that I have is that if I want to watch HDTV, I have to press a button on my receiver that switches the signal from the S-video out over to the HDTV side. When I'm done watching, I have to remember to press that button again to switch it back so that the Replay can get the signal again. It gets quite annoying.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I split my cable three ways.

1 goes into TV tuner, which gives me some ability for PIP.

1 goes in to replayTV directly, allowing to record off analog channels while watching digital channels. The replay connects to the TV via S-video and to my receiver via analog audio (because I ran out of digital ins.)

1 goes in to my DCT5100. S-video from here goes to the replay-in for recording digital and high-def channels (which the replay does a good job of, preserving the 16:9 format as well) and the component out goes to my TV.

This offers very good flexibility. I've configured macros on my remote that organize the TV/receiver. "TV" uses the tv tuner, "VCR1" sets to watch the replay, "VCR2" sets the TV to the HD inputs. VCR2 also controls the cable box directly as it's quicker than having the replay do it. Just have to be careful not to change while the red light is on, and it's not coming off the analog cable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you thought about using a switch. Run the component output from each unit to a switch then one component cable to the monitor. Several different manufactures have one. I use the audio authority since it automatically selects the device that is on and sends that signal to my plasma monitor. You can prioritize different units also. I have two RTV, and a DVD player and Zenith set top HDTV reciever setup with this.

Rusty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.