AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were looking at two similar computers, and was going to do a lot of video editing, price close, would the 915G or 875P processor be preferable?

Potentially may do some interaction with my HTPC; possibly pull some of the videos I capture at it down.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Roger;

You are talking about different chip sets and with that also a different bus philosophy which requires different components, i.e. your AGP card no longer work. You also need a different CPU and RAM.

If you get/build a brand new PC, rather than upgrading an existing one this might worth considering.

Check out PCI-Express....

____

Axel

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I'm pricing prebuilt ones. The 875 is a Gateway, and the 915 is a HP.

The HP does have PCI slots, so I'm confused about "PCI cards no longer work". So, if I want to pull a card out of one of my other computers, I couldn't put it in the HP (915 chip)?

The HTPC I built, and it is an AMD 2600+.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
For a HTPC the 915 is the way to go do to Intel's High Definition Audio and support for Dolby Digital Live. This takes the multichannel audio sources and encodes them into Dolby Digital in real time so that they can be feed digitally to a processor and processed into 5.1 sound. This is much better than having 6+ analog cables coming off your soundcard into your HT.

Peter

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ewingr
Actually, I'm pricing prebuilt ones. The 875 is a Gateway, and the 915 is a HP.

The HP does have PCI slots, so I'm confused about "PCI cards no longer work". So, if I want to pull a card out of one of my other computers, I couldn't put it in the HP (915 chip)?

The HTPC I built, and it is an AMD 2600+.

Roger;

You are right. PCI-X is supposedly backwards compatible with regular PCI. The way I understand it is that if you run both PCI and PCI-X cards on the same bus the bus speed will run at the speed of the slowest card, i.e. you do not get the benefit of the faster PCI-X bus.

(I have edited my orignal post.)

____

Axel

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

And, actually, this computer will be used more for video editing, with Adobe Premier, various Capture software packages, Digital photograph stuff, and normal user stuff.

But it sounds like the 915 has more capabilities, and even if I don't do a lot with audio and HTPC, the better way to go.

·
Registered
463 Posts
What a timing! My new PC 915-based components just arrived this afternoon plus the newly released nvidia 6600GT video card to replace my trusty 865/ATI based HTPC. I went thru a long debate on this selection b/c of its potential incompatibility w/ existing s&h/w but at the end the thing that most important to me is the nvidia graphic card to go with TT2.0 (w/o breaking my bank). BTW, 915G has graphics chip builtin and why you want to do that?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
BTW, 915G has graphics chip builtin and why you want to do that?
Are you asking me?

I don't know. I dont' know for sure if I want to order the compuer with the 915 or the 875. That's why I posted the question.

Again, this PC will not be doing HTPC stuff (at least not presentation), but will be used for DVD authoring and video editing, as well as the usual household PC type activities.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.