AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having problems with my HiPix locking up that Kei thinks may be related to hard drive performance issues. I've checked everything possible and updated everything possible and am down to my last item.

I have been advised by several people to allow Win2K to configure the Intel chipsets and to NOT use any of the drivers supplied directly by Intel. Thus, my current HTPC is configed with Win2K SP2 drivers.

Contrary to this, a couple of folks on the ASUS board suggested that I load the Intel Application Accelerator and Chipset Software Installation Utility.

Has anyone used these with or without problems? Anything I should be forwarned about?

Thanks,

Aslan...

Win2K

CUSL2-C

512Mb Crucial RAM

2 IBM 75GXP Drives

Radeon DDR64

HiPix

Audiophile 2496

Win-TV

Intel Pro100 10/100 card

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Aslan,

Actually, I too would recommend that you use the Intel drivers, but I do not know much about W2K to say this definitively. In WinME it was critical that you do just that.

Refresh my memory, when and how are you getting the lock-ups?

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
e vey,

Duh! I guess I should pay attention to the post. Thanks for the clarification.

Aslan,

What e vey said..... Actually, I have never added anything to the original Intel drivers since the day I set up my system with the disk that came with the motherboard. I can't advise you as to the use of the above accelerator.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmmm...I too have a CUSL2 and it improved my performance under Windows XP. Before I had a lot of stuttering going on during playback via my H+, but now....not a single twitch! No errors so far.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. The Intel ATA drivers have been known to have various problems for some time. However, the Win drivers (in my case 2k) do not take very much advantage of DMA/100 (or DMA/66 for that matter). These new drivers are supposed to provide significant performance improvements, but for all who have used Intel drivers in the past "At What Cost?"

If I can get my dual-boot working again this weekend I may just give them a shot anyway.

Further comments/experience very welcome.

Aslan

PS, Kei, it's the problem of the image occasionally locking up and replaying a couple of frames (looks like an animated GIF). The problem is in the video output section of the card as I can record day and night without any problems. Even when I experience the problem during broadcast the recording is perfect. The problem occurs both when viewing a broadcast or playing back a recording.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.