Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I am in San Jose for the Intel Developer Forum and I am seeing some really cool products being made - soon to be on the market - for home entertainment.

Most notable is the Advanced Digital Set Top Box. This thing has it all:

DVD progressive player

Memory card slots (all brands)

USB

Firewire

All the typical A/V connections

Intel processor and chipset

Hard drive for PVR and still image storage

GUI that is awesome and simple

Multiple tuners analog and Digital

Ability to play anyone of the above sources to 4 televisions - 3 can be wireless!!

To top it all off they have it hooked up to a Panny 42" HD5U

It took me a while to stop stairing at the HD source playing on the plasma coming from the hard drive - but I did finally learn a bit about the box.

I would take a picture but don't have a camera with me.

They say it will be available from the market end of this year or first quarter of next.

Keep you eyes open for it.

·
23,032 Posts
What Intel chip? Is the PVR software Tivo or something less?

Does all DVD audio go out the firewire output? Quit teasing us... :)

larry

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry for the late reply. the symposium had me busy all day, just got back from dinner and drinks with Intel guys and I am wooped.

I am using crappy dial up modem and have realized this site has WAY TOO MUCH content to display. I have an early flight and it is late so this will be short...

At this point Intel has made what they call a reference platform. A demonstration of the technology and a design document to enable others to recreate it. I was told the document is available and at least one vendor plans to release this year - but the person at the demo booth was not sure of who and was not sure if the first round of the product from them would have the HD tuner built in or not.

In general he said the goal was to have something available for Xmas, but you never know how things go.

I don't recall the processor, but it was a generation or so behind to keep costs and power down. The chip set running the unit was the 815? too much going on and the schematic with those details kept scrolling by too fast.

The software was not Tivo, that I know for sure, it was a joint effort to make sure the hardware they made had a good interface.

The USB and firewire were out the front. The rear had DVI along with component for video and the audio had coax digital and optical.

The unit was about the size of a receiver (3+" tall, 15+"wide and 15+" deep). It had a fan for cooling of the hard drive and chip set. The whole thing was full of slots for cooling - I could literally see every detail in the unit.

They had a cheaper version in a booth near it that did not have the multi video source out put and did not have the memory card slots or plethora of outputs on front or back, but did behave like the traditional PVR.

Sorry if I dont' have all the details. I imagine more can be found on their web site soon or in trade magazines since a lot of press was there.

Just do searches for advanced digital set top box,

This has been longer then i wanted and I need some sleep.

-John

·
Registered
31 Posts
plazmaphiles,

resurrecting a recent thread to note an interesting but sketchy story in today's new york times creating some hype about Intel's HD development work -- and portending major reductions in HD prices -- though they do not make clear that these developments will apply to plasma. rather, it seems linked to RP.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/17/te...gy/17chip.html

I find myself confused, and anxiously awaiting Intel's CES announcements. Would have to think that if display, receiver and computer electronics were all incorporated on a single chip, this could apply to plasma displays in a meaningful, price-reducing way.

anyone got any updated dope on Intel's skunkworks?

thanks

Jeff/Shanghai

·
Registered
263 Posts
Jeff/Shanghai

Read the NYTimes article too and came away confused. Beginning of the article seems to suggest that new Intel chip will improve and lower prices on all digital tvs including plasma by the end of 04 and rest of the story seems to suggest that Intel is focusing on LCOS rear projection. Would be good to know more about what Intel is really up to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.