AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Solved: Intel HD 4200 edid overide needed is it posible

Hi I have a zotac zbox zi520 whit intel HD 4200 graphics, the driver does not get the correct edid from the receiver Onkyo SR-TX608. I can not find a registry hack or edid override guide for Intel
Is it not possible?
Do I have to get a gefen HDMI detective plus?
As you can see the HD formats are not seen as supported by system

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
From the list it looks like the 4200 can't bitstream HD audio, only multichannel LPCM. There's no issue at all.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You would need to install a codec pack like LAV Filter or Shark007 to get it to bitstream HD Audio to the Onkyo.......

Toys

·
Registered
12,317 Posts
You would need to install a codec pack like LAV Filter or Shark007 to get it to bitstream HD Audio to the Onkyo.......

Toys
If the audio format is not listed in the sound properties as OP indicates, no codec packs can help.

Intel's driver are not very consistent. Some drivers will have no problem with HD audio, some drivers will not support HD audio. You just have to try to get a the right driver for it to work. Almost all the intel HD graphics supports HD audio even the ones in lower power Celeron chips (after recent driver update). There is no reason at all this Haswell HD 4200 not supporting it.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the audio format is not listed in the sound properties as OP indicates, no codec packs can help.

Intel's driver are not very consistent. Some drivers will have no problem with HD audio, some drivers will not support HD audio. You just have to try to get a the right driver for it to work. Almost all the intel HD graphics supports HD audio even the ones in lower power Celeron chips (after recent driver update). There is no reason at all this Haswell HD 4200 not supporting it.
Thanks for the help

I have tried both the newest driver and the one from the zotac website with no luck. Any others I should try?

How can I confirm if its a edid or driver issue. I know its not a codec issue.
to me it looks like a edid issue when I use moninfo. but I im fare from an expert.

·
Registered
12,317 Posts
8-ch LPCM is max what current HDMI 1.x can support. That doesn't mean it can't output HD audio which is determined by the processor (Core i3 4020Y). According to the official spec by Intel (http://ark.intel.com/products/76609/Intel-Core-i3-4020Y-Processor-3M-Cache-1_50-GHz?wapkw=intel+core+i3+4020y), it does support HD audio.

I have seen this issue on many Intel IGPs. You need find the driver that will support the HD audio codec. To make it more confusing, Intel offers two sets of different drivers for each release. I have no idea which driver set one should install.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The audio spec of the adpater on the Zotac page (for the CI520) says "8-ch via DVI-HDMI adapter, S/PDIF". Sounds like 8-LPCM to me, which is even confirmed by the DD plus detection in the EDID.

http://www.zotac.com/products/mini-pcs/zbox-c-series/product/zbox-c-series/detail/zbox-ci520-nano-1/sort/starttime/order/DESC/amount/10/section/specifications.html
I contacted zotac and they say HD-dts and dolby-hd is possible. But have not been able to solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
OK, unfortunately Intel IGPs do not accept EDID overrides. Did you try switching to another HDMI port on the ONKYO? How about the HDMI cables?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
8-ch LPCM is max what current HDMI 1.x can support. That doesn't mean it can't output HD audio which is determined by the processor (Core i3 4020Y). According to the official spec by Intel (http://ark.intel.com/products/76609/Intel-Core-i3-4020Y-Processor-3M-Cache-1_50-GHz?wapkw=intel+core+i3+4020y), it does support HD audio.

I have seen this issue on many Intel IGPs. You need find the driver that will support the HD audio codec. To make it more confusing, Intel offers two sets of different drivers for each release. I have no idea which driver set one should install.
what in the specs are you referring to it says intel hd audio yes and hdmi

·
Registered
12,317 Posts
It says 'Intel® HD Audio Technology' - Yes. That means it supports DTS-HD and Dolby True HD. Make sure you have Intel ME (Management Engine) driver up to date (or installed). Without it, you won't get HD audio support. The audio driver is part of graphics driver installation IIRC.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Maybe it's a problem in the BIOS? Check the settings or installing the latest version.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, unfortunately Intel IGPs do not accept EDID overrides. Did you try switching to another HDMI port on the ONKYO? How about the HDMI cables?
I have tried defrent cables with 2.0 spec and gold plating. will try a defrent port when i get home. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Check the HD audio settings. I guess under Advenced/Southbridge configuration.

I would also second Foxbat121's suggestion above about the MEI driver.

Reactions: zap123

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It says 'Intel® HD Audio Technology' - Yes. That means it supports DTS-HD and Dolby True HD. Make sure you have Intel ME (Management Engine) driver up to date (or installed). Without it, you won't get HD audio support. The audio driver is part of graphics driver installation IIRC.
Thanks for the suggestion really appreciate your help. I have the newest Intel ME driver. Zotac says ME now is a part of the bios.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For anyone with a similar problem I solved it with a hdmi detective plus. I now get DTS master audio and dolby true hd bitstreaming. Its an expensive fix but it works.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts